• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Clams

Is the industry short on decent maxima clams. Seems like they are in short supply, and the few that are available are not very attractive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i was told once that clams are extremely hard to care for do to there requirements for NANO sized food and water conditions is this true?

I had good luck with mine until my tank crashed. Size matters, since smaller clams need nano food, but 3 inches and larger mainly use photosynthesis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What Dave said, under three inches and you are buying shells for ornaments. I have found that feeding them when young some sort of phytoplankton is very helpful. My Derasa is about a foot now and my maxima is 6 inches maybe. So something works.

What Dave said, under three inches and you are buying shells for ornaments. I have found that feeding them when young some sort of phytoplankton is very helpful. My Derasa is about a foot now and my maxima is 6 inches maybe. So something works.
That's good to know any idea how fast they grow I was looking at some earlier not for my tank buy just out of curiosity and they looked huge

Well my Derasa has grown much faster than the Maxima. I have had the Maxima 7.5 years and the Derasa 8.5 to give you an idea.
Both started about 3 inches...the Derasa probably weighs in at 9-10 lbs. I know there is a correlation between calcium and growth but don't know what the exact impact would be.