• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

clean live sand or not

So my tank is a year and some old,Ive never cleaned the sand bed. I was wondering if any of you clean you sand bed or just leave it Im worried about stirring things up And causing an out break

I never clean mine . I have a bunch of sand sifters that do some cleaning but I never directly clean . It is also only 1-1 1/2 " deep .

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Lord Viper said:
So my tank is a year and some old,Ive never cleaned the sand bed. I was wondering if any of you clean you sand bed or just leave it Im worried about stirring things up And causing an out break
clean it of what?

I had about 1/2" depth of sand for aesthetics. Did water changes religiously as well as a good skimmer and uses RowaPhos. After a couple of years I got a cyno problem. I increased the water changes, manually cleaned off the rocks, and added a refugium. None of this made a difference until I went back the the basics..... gravel siphoned the sand. All cyno was gone in a matter of days. Try siphoning your sand and watch the murky mess come up the tube and into your bucket.
Ken

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think the combo of good water circulation and what qwik said some sand shifters should do the job