• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

closed loop help

I want to see if this will work.
I have a 70 tech tank that I am setting up. It has 2 1" bulkheads. I was thinking runing one as a drain for my sump with a matcher return pump and breaking it into to lines through a manifold with ball valves to 4 locklines coming into the tank. It should be about 600 GPG

Then use the other bulkhead as a drain to a closed loop and have the same return setup going over the top.

I would put the closed loop drain lower than the sump drain. Would this work or do you think i could have problems with it

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Are both these drains behind the overflow? If so, your overflow might not be able to keep up with the water needed for both drains (depending upon your closed loop pump)

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
What kind of Coral are you planning on keeping in the tank? If you plan on keeping SPS, then your flow might not be adequate. You can push a lot more through 1" if you have that connected to a closed loop, the only restriction then would be the overflow itself.

This sounds like my 265 Im putting together I have the same setup. let me know you results I dont think the 1 inch Bulkheads are going to be big enough to keep up with the pump. Im going to hook it all up put water in it and test it. I was thinking of making all 4 drains and no closed loop.

70 Tech Vortech

would 1 vortech be good for my 70 tech tank?
The dimentions are L36xW18xH25
If so do I need the 20 or 40

I plan on keeping LPS and SPS

The VorTech either a 20 0r 40 would be good in a 70, they are infinately adjustable so you can dial it down until you are happy.

In a 70 g you can feed your CL pump with an over the top siphon that will work great and if set up right will nnot loose prime when the pump is off. What size pump are you considering for the CL?