• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cloudy Water without a reason....

Hey all hope your all enjoying your new year... I have a 27 gallon cube with a 5.5 gallon sump.. filter sock, carbon, chemi-pure, chaeto, protein skimmer for filtration... Without cause my water has started to get cloudy white.... I havent stirred up any of the sand or done any major work to the tank.. it just kind of happened when I woke up one day and it is progressively getting a little worse... I havent done any changes in water flow. I did a 5 gallon water change yesterday and it seemed to get a little better but then go back to the way it was. I wish it was a crazy amphipod outbreak that I could cure with a nice mandarin but my tank is only 6 months old and I rarely come across any at all... Any ideas???

whoops sorry forgot to mention livestock... The only inhabitants are two small perc clowns, assorted small hermits and snails and an emerald crab..

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sounds like a bacterial bloom to me. I would continue with the water changes and also change out your carbon. It should clear up in a couple days.

Just switched out carbon this morning... Ill do another water change and let you guys know how I make out... Thank you very much for the quick responses... I just posted this 5 minutes ago...

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I agree with Matt too. I'd also suggest keeping an eye on the clowns too. When they start looking for a place to lay eggs, they tend to dig up the sand and sorta hollow out space below their chosen spot. In a nano this could easily cause cloudy water due to the small water volume.