• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Clown fish aggression

I picked up a nice mandarin the other day and he has been happy and healthy for a couple days in the tank. Then, last night I noticed my female clown picking on him. She had him by the tale thrashing it around. I broke them up and the mandarin was missing part of his fin. The lights were going off so I figured I would check on them in the morning. I woke up this morning and there is no sign of the mandarin. Is this normal behavior for a Picasso clown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unfortunately an aggressive clown it's very common. I never understood why they are described as peaceful. I have never seen a peaceful clown. With that said, feeding before the new addition, turning the lights off or using an acclamation box for the new fish helps greatly. Good luck!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think we forget that they are damsels....the bullies of the fish world.

I thought I had a non-aggressive pair until I attempted to clean out the hair algae in my sump (where they reside). They were hosting the hair algae. As soon as I approached the hair algae with a scraper, I was immediately attacked. I tried a couple times to get in there and clean it out, but finally gave up out of fear of losing some skin.

I used to have a pair of snowflake and they even tried to get you if you put your hand on top of the water, image every time I had to move something inside of the tank.

If the poor guy is still alive I will try to capture him and relocate to the sump for recovery.

Mandarin is nowhere to be found. I guess any new fish are out of the question.