• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Clownfish Log

Female true perc laid another batch of eggs today on the back wall. They should hatch between Jan 6th and January 7th.

Will post back here with pics and later how I harvest them all. I have some great ideas from mofib and rc.

The issue will be space as I need to figure out a place to put the 5 existing baby percs once this next batch hatches.

Check back here in 8 days... :)

Well thanks to nikki/mnat for the loaner 5 gallon tank - I moved the 5 percs out of the 10 g over. The 10G will become home to the larvae (hopefully) on Jan 5th/Jan 6th. I've got to go to home depot to make me a larvae collector. More on that later.

Today is day 14 for the original 5 baby percs born dec 18th.

This is the most developed of the 5 percs, you can see the second bar has developed on the clown, behind it is a suction cup for the heater for scale, the haziness is due to the camera and also all the baby artemia/brine shrimp (sorry for the bad pic):
IMG_6097.jpg

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
This is cool to follow. I wish I had time to do this myself. What else do you need. I have another 10 gallon, a 55, a 40 let me know I'll give you what ever you need.

Thanks guys. They are all developing at different rates - I am assuming because I wasn't very good with the rotifers nutritional value.

Also -unlike the pics you see in the book of a large group of clowns, the 5 clowns stay far apart and actually will chase each other. I assume because with a large number of larvae they clump/shoal/school together. But not so with these guys. They like their space.

Equipment:
5 gallon hex
ebo-jager heater set to 80
air stone
stick on thermometer
ammonia badge

The only new thing I tried today was crushing some cyclopeeze. I don't know if they took to it. Will try again once they finish off the baby brine.

Glad to help, I love following your progress. I keep looking at our clowns and going c'mon, spawn already! but they aren't listening to me.

thanks everyone! it means a lot as I truly appreciate your insight and input (oh and the friendship is ok too!).

nikki - you know how the tank has little "dimples" on the bottom? Interestingly the clowns occasionally will each take one dimple as "home". One has taken to the ammonia badge. Speaking of which my ammonia is up again. Every day I have to change out water. Time consuming but worth it.

Here's another pic that perhaps is better to show you the scale of the size of fish vs the ammonia badge:
IMG_6127.jpg

It's hard to get them with a pic as they constantly have that "waggle" swim going. I'll try and get a better pic.

Phil, my false percs are spawning as I type, I think I can frag off a chunk of the spawn rock if you want to try to raise them, ill post a pic of the clutch when they are done. Spawning=Happy Tank!
Greg

Thats really cool Hawkeye, thanks so much for the pic. I wonder if they feel more secure in the dimples?

Greg, congrats on the clowns spawning!

Awesome, I love baby clownfish :D they're so adorable! Just wondering did you pair them yourself? If so how long did it take for them to pair up and start breeding?

Whitebird1 said:
Phil, my false percs are spawning as I type, I think I can frag off a chunk of the spawn rock if you want to try to raise them, ill post a pic of the clutch when they are done. Spawning=Happy Tank!
Greg

thanks greg - but believe it or not i'm due for another spawn tomorrow night. But if I didn't have any eggs to grab I would have definitely made the trip to meet you!

SWITCH420 said:
thats cool tagging along would love to try 2 to hatch baby clowns first i need a breeding pair.dooh........lol

it'll happen...turn on some barry white or something. ;D

NikkiT said:
Thats really cool Hawkeye, thanks so much for the pic. I wonder if they feel more secure in the dimples?

Greg, congrats on the clowns spawning!

Yeah I was thinking the same thing with the dimples. Maybe my airstone was too strong? But then I raised it up higher and they still kinda hang out around the areas. Perhaps the baby brine congregate in those slow flow areas so it's good eatin?

Cool Dude, good luck with the kids, a small water change can kick off the spawn,
Barry M, dim lighting will not hurt. Nights in White Satin is always a good one.
Greg