• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Clownfish Log

Had a setback today on Day 3. Lost about 50% of the fry. I don't think my rotifer counts are as concentrated/as high as they need to be. I will persevere with this batch but if things continue to go south - I will try again when the clowns lay again (which should be any day now). That will give me 10 days to get the rotifer count to the appropriate density.

Yeah your photo of the fry should have rotifers in it and be tinted green. I currently have 12 pairs of clownfish and 3 of them are breeding. My problem isnt raising the fry its getting them to hatch.
I have no idea why but once they lay eggs its like they start eating them after day 3 and by hatch night there are none left. I have all my clownfish pairs in a separate system and they are all in separate tanks with flower pots.

Anyone have any idea whats happening?

Yeah your photo of the fry should have rotifers in it and be tinted green. I currently have 12 pairs of clownfish and 3 of them are breeding. My problem isnt raising the fry its getting them to hatch.
I have no idea why but once they lay eggs its like they start eating them after day 3 and by hatch night there are none left. I have all my clownfish pairs in a separate system and they are all in separate tanks with flower pots.

Anyone have any idea whats happening?

If you are on facebook i suggest posting it on the clownfish breeding page. The folks there are pretty fast in responding. MOFIB as a site is pretty dead but that would have been the other site I would check.

My 2 cents - from what I understand the first one or two batches the parents may not properly care for the babies. In those situations fungus/bacteria may grow on the fry and then kill them. The parents will eat dead eggs if that happens. I assume you are not putting the eggs under a bubbler right?

Well I am happy to report a living, breathing 2 month old clownfish raised in NJ (ha ha). It was really touch and go at first and I was not able to save it's half dozen siblings. A large number of eggs did not hatch. So i really wasn't hopeful at my odds...but surprise surprise...

Here's a pic...it is about 1" in size. For scale, the upper left is a green air line tube....

Thanks. One thing different this time around is the usage of a Vossen trap. It's by Chad Vossen. Interesting contraption to help collect the fry overnight from the main display. I'll post a pic later.

Great job at least getting one to survive. I know when they start dieing off usually all them go.
I still have about 80 true percula clownfish if any one wants any lol. $10 each if anyone is interested.IMG_1083.jpeg

Great job at least getting one to survive. I know when they start dieing off usually all them go.
I still have about 80 true percula clownfish if any one wants any lol. $10 each if anyone is interested.View attachment 22769
OH MY GOODNESS, LOOK AT THEM ALL! How cool! I'm hoping my don't breed. What are the chances of that not happening? lol