• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Co2 Scrubber

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I was watching the BRS video earlier and this got me thinking. Personally I do not monitor Ph as much as Id like to. I did run (briefly) a Co2 scrubber on my old system but really didn't notice much of a difference so i pretty much the 86'd the whole idea and moved on with my life.

Anyways, does anybody here currently run a Co2 scrubber? Do folks see positive reactions from using 1?

I still have a mini reactor that i can use should i decide to place it back online....its just gonna require me to monitor my parameters a little more often.

I used to get an increase of ~ .1 - .2 pH units from using it, and only used it when it was too cold or hot to open windows in the house. I used to buy it in 5 gal. buckets here. I had DIY'd an RO canister and had to refill it weekly. You have to watch it since it will turn to violet when it needs to be changed, but if you don't notice it, it will turn back to white again and will be useless at that time. I also used kalk as part of my dosing regiment, which also gave me ~ .1 - .2pH unit increase.

Here is the canister:

CO2Reactor_zpsf9aabee3.jpg

I packed the soda lime the same way you would refill your DI resin.

I keep thinking about it, but for the cost and effort, I just keep my alk around 10 which gives me around 8.2. I also installed a fresh air exchange unit (erv) from Panasonic when we did the basement, so it keeps a decent amount of fresh air mixed in the room of the fish tank.