• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Color Change in just a few weeks

I got this from a Manhatten Reefer in a 5 SPS pack. It was sold to me as Purple Nana.
IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3487.jpg

This is the same Coral after maybe 6 or 7 weeks under 2 Reeflux 12K 250 Watt MH and 4 54 Watt T5's:

IMG_4643.jpg

I doesn't appear to be Purple Nana to me either, when my lights come on I'll take a pic of mine. The polyps look different to me. Great color ;D

I like the color after better than before. I found that happen to me with one monti. My guess is it was about to die before I put it low in my tank and the color was fading? Total guess though.

I like the new color alot better as well. The color that I got it as may have been because the coral was stressed. I got it shipped from upstate new york.

It's doing really well. Hope to be able to frag it and pass it around NJRC someday.

C

concept3

that looks like a species of A. valida which the purple nana is- the great things about SPS is that under different lighting and water conditions, they vary- almost no two tanks are alike water chemistry wise, and this adds to the coolness factor I find amongst the scleractinians

Merv,

First off .. I'm glad you're posting more. I started NJRC when you had taken some "time off" from the site. So just wanted to say glad you're on more.

Second, do you think that this should effect which corals I keep. For example I have a Tenius that has turned a deep purple/blue when in the person's tank I got it from, was whitish with blue tips. I like the color on it more now then when I first got it.

On the other end of the spectrum, I got a blue tip green acro that lost it's blue tips and just looks like an average acro. Do you think I should try and trade it/sell it and just keep the things that look really good.

Just curious in your opinion. Obviously I'm going to have greater success with some corals than with others but shouldn't I save the room for the ones that do look better than average?

C

concept3

Thanks Mike- I'm glad to be back as well (...and finally have internet at home too, LOL)

Did you just recently change your lighting, or has the reeflux bulbs been on in the tank for a while? Placement of the corals also affect its color, I've placed 2 or 3 of the same frags from the mother colony and they varied in hue in relation to the distance of my lights. I noticed the ones directly under the halides within 10 degrees from the center got a lot brighter in color than the ones with the larger angle of incidence. Also, depth plays a role since PAR will be different in certain depths.

The other acro that you mention that lost its color could be moved around a little until you get the desired outcome- now, did this change on its own without you changing any of your lights assuming the water is the same? I would keep the coral anyways, just to see what it would do in the future-

I've been through a good number of SPS myself, and even though it seems like I downgraded a lot from my previous tanks, I've actually kept a small frag or two somewheres in the tank as future broodstock- Now, that's not to say that I've completely gotten rid of the much more "common" and faster growing types of corals such as Montipora capricornis and digitatas, but I DO save space for the corals I really want to keep (and keep whole)- that's why I keep most of my colonies on their own stands of Liverock, for interior decorating purposes :) It makes them easier to be moved around.

Like my efflos for instance, they have the best seats in the house, directly under the halides and just under the Tunzes. The other guys are just kinda strategically placed to be fragged and grown-

This is another coral purchased from the same person on Manhatten Reef. This change is also amazing.

IMG_3503.jpg

IMG_5118.jpg

This one has gone from white with what was supposed to be blue tips to completely blue. It was sold to me as a blue aculeus.

Thank you ... that first color change is one of my favorite corals in my tank. I can't wait too hook up my ca reactor and ka reactor and watch it take off.