• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Coming Soon, Billyr98's 90g tank!! He's BACK!!!

Here I am about 18 months removed from having a tank in the house. I realized after MACNA, How much I missed it, but financially, I can't go large. So I got a used tank from Brian (thanks Brian!!). It will be a slow thread, as I need to piece meal this tank together. Here it is coming home from Brian's.

photo-1.jpg

and here it is setting EMPTY :( in its location.

photo.jpg

I am going to pick up some acrylic this week or next and start building the sump.

I just placed an order for some parts...

Reefkeeper Lite (Hope this is as good as I read about!)

An Octopus Needwheel 150 Protein Skimmer

And my return pump will be internal a quiet one 4000 (rated for over 1000gph but with head loss should be around 800) and it will be tee'd off to feed a small refugium section in the sump.

So next will be the sump build, getting some live rock together, and I think I can grab some powerheads for some internal flow from Todd.

Lighting will be T5HOs running off an icecap 660. It has 4 in the hood now, not sure if I am going to leave them or add two more lamps.

Well thats it for now... any inputs are welcome!! I am out of the loop about technology for a year now!

Billyr98

Welcome back from the land of the tankless!

I can't imagine that any reefer who went to MACNA didn't walk out dreaming about how they'd do thier "next" system better! Or at least improve the existing one.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm so happy the tank is going to be put to good use! I'm sure it will look WAAAY better then when I had it set up!

Good Luck! Can't wait to see it all come together.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey Billy, I have a spare AC jr you are welcome to have, you would just need to get a DC8 or DC4 for it.

Great seeing you again, Billy! :) Looky, as soon as your new baby is up and running, please stop by, and I'll frag whatever catches your eye. It will be my gift to one hell of a guy!

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Billy, Welcome back. I new you could not stay away for to long. If you like some nice zoo frags let me know. I have a lot so I can give you some.
Daniel

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Good to have you back buddy! What happened to the 65/75/90 thing? Gonna plumb into your basement and use it as a sump ;D

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I got the perfect skimmer for ya too buddy! Will fit perfectly in your sump too (as long as your sump isn't under your stand) ;)

ok so I am still getting things together for this build. I was doing a lot of math today and was trying to determine what to do with lighting

6 T5HO lamps wired to an icecap ballast is going to draw - 567 watts (roughly after using an amprobe on it)
and so I wonder.. should I just do 2 250w MHs? - Should draw roughly the same wattage (504watts) with maybe 2 actinics running before and after the MHs are on. (talking maybe an 1hr total, 30min before and then 30 after).

Lots of you know my setups, I have done before and know the corals I like. Mostly SPS.

So what should I do???

Thanks!

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I have both set ups. MH and T5s upstairs on the 90 and 16 T5s down stairs on the 265. Your welcome to stop by and check it out when you get your rocks. I do like the Shimmer of the MHs. But they are both nice.

john90009

NJRC Member
i have a 75 gallon which im guessing is a few inches shallower then your 90- i use 6 55 watt t-5 bulbs on my tank and sps love it at the bottom of my tank- dang chalices can only stay in the shade on the sand bed : / hope this helps- im looking into leds right now to add a really strong shimmer effect with the t-5s. hopefully i can try some stuff and get something thats works great and is easy to setup so all the t-5 users can throw them on so the people with halides cant make fun of us cause our tank is not natural looking without the shimmer lol :)