• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Community Gives Back: Papau New Guniea Collection Nets

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Donate Here

JoeTBS (some of you know him from his days with NJRC, others know him from the swaps where he represents Boston Aquafarms) has asked that I post this for a worthy cause. Please consider a donation if you can.

Hello All,

I (JoeTBS) have been in contact with a good friend of mine, Steve Robinson, the pioneer of net-training and collecting of fishes for the aquarium trade. Steve has trained countless individuals and donated lots of time & energy so that we, the end users, get better fish.

He is currently in Papau New Guniea, the beginning of a new collection area to teach the locals how to properly collect fish from the start.

The process has been underway for 6 months now, and will continue for another 3 years. In this time, exporters will be set up and we will start to see fish come from the reefs there. The methodology behind this endeavor is fantastic - they have taken examples from all previous operations in many a country, and are implementing a sound, sustainable solution. Previous employees of MAC and other reef-minded individuals will ensure this remains a proper, sustainable collection country.

Papau New Guniea is home to some of the most pristine reefs. Bordering the Coral Sea, there is the greatest variety of fish in this one area. Over 95% of the country is covered in pristine reefs, and will be fished without damage.

What the locals of PNG need (there will be no foreign divers brought in like in other countries, only locals to ensure the people in PNG are receiving the fruits) is netting.

I (JoeTBS) am interested in putting $280 of my money in to cover the costs of the netting for hand-nets (#2 & 3), and they are looking for donations to cover the rest of the netting as follows:

1. 3/8's inch barrier netting $400. a bundle X 3 = $1,200.00ea bundle serves 30 divers or 90 total. Will need 3 x next years but that shouldn't be purchased until after proving it all this year.

2. and 1/6th inch plastic handnetting 100 foot roll = $ 140.00 ea.

3. 1/4 inch plastic handnetting 100 foot roll = $ 140.00 ea
[This stuff #2. & 3. is only for handnets and it uses very little material and is dirt cheap per diver]

If anyone can be so inclined to help with donations it would be much appreciated. Please RSVP here and pay through Paypal, and I will have Steve sign up for an account and he will help answer any questions you might have about the future that PNG holds for all of us. Any amount will be greatly appreciated.

thank you,
joe

Donate Here