• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cone Shells for Halloween Hermit Crabs

radiata

NJRC Member
I thought I'd share with you all my efforts to get Cone Shells for my Halloween Hermit Crabs. The following was extracted from an eMail I just sent to a fellow member.

Hi,

The following is the sad story of my quest for Cone Shells for my Halloween Hermits. As follows, my quest got a little out of hand...

My first try - as you said, the shells were too large. I don't recollect if I got them from eBay or Amazon.

My next try was ordering shells from Reef Cleaners. I bought a few packages. Each turned out to have a single much too large Cone Shell (like the above) and several too small shells that weren't even Cone Shells.

Then I said to myself, "Self, where can you find the appropriate sized Cone Shells?" My answer was ETSY! Among other things, Etsy has a lot of craft supplies they carry for jewelers, DIY wedding ornaments, yada, yada.

Two nights ago, I went through Etsy searching for perfectly sized Cone Shells. I spent a good $30 on cone shells that looked like they'd be just perfect for Halloween Hermits.

Yesterday I ventured into PA to replenish my Fruit Fly cultures at Dart Frogs to Dogs. I hit Something Fishy as long as I was in the area. There was a bin at the checkout counter, just below their live algae offering bin. And, there they were! Small plastic pouches with three or four shells in each pouch. They were actually sorted into different types of shells in each bag. I bought three pouches of Cone Shells.

They cost me $1.00 per pouch. Duh....

So, it goes...

Bob