• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Conservation News

Spent the day at the Bronx Zoo yesterday and rejoined as a member. Surfing the Wildlife Conservation Societu website and found this article that might of interest. Even the natural reefs need to deal with algae control.

"one site had experienced a population explosion of sea urchins—pests that feeds on corals."

I recall this happened on the pacific coast kelp forest...and divers were hired to hammer/kill the urchins.

Of course that was all before we learned about sushi and sea urchin roe. :p

How'd you like the zoo? We were there about a month ago...my kids were disappointed they shut down the Sky-Fari.

Hey Phil,

The zoo was great. Spent a lot of time with the lions and giraffes watching the new babies. The Congo Gorilla exhibit and Tiger Mountain kept us entertained as well.

Unfortunately due to budget cuts more than the Skyfari is closing. The World of Darkness is closed and rumors have the Monkey House and the Mouse House closing as well.

I need to get over to the aquarium. It looks like WCS is doing a lot of good stuff on the reefs. Maybe they'll have some good info for the conservation committee.

ZERO POINT ZERO.

The GA aquarium is actually expanding. I just wnet to the baltimore aquarium and the zoo in dc. The aqaurim looked great but the zoo was lacking since it was a dreary day.

What i dont undetstand is how the bronx zoo charges and is clsing exhibits but the zoo in dc doesnt charge and fully open.

blange3 said:
Hey Phil,

The zoo was great. Spent a lot of time with the lions and giraffes watching the new babies. The Congo Gorilla exhibit and Tiger Mountain kept us entertained as well.

Unfortunately due to budget cuts more than the Skyfari is closing. The World of Darkness is closed and rumors have the Monkey House and the Mouse House closing as well.

I need to get over to the aquarium. It looks like WCS is doing a lot of good stuff on the reefs. Maybe they'll have some good info for the conservation committee.

I've always enjoyed the zoo. Especially on weekdays. ;D

Besides the employees - we were the third car in line at one of the southern gate entrances...once we got in we went straight to the congo...no one was there except us. We love that place. We've been members now for 5 years.

Kids loved the butterfly exhibit and the childen's zoo is always a nice place - what with the crazy local peacocks running around freely (they aren't caged - they just fly wherever they want).

Regarding the closed sky-fari - you realize i am just nostalgic - that thing hasn't been updated since probably when the swiss sky company installed the thing and it's time was due (I mentioned to my wife the insurance was probably crippling). Haven't been to the world of darkness in a while. I recall when they had people manning the gate and you had to drop in a dime or whatever to get thru the turnstiles. The A/C was always bad in there and when the crowds came - it was a bit claustaphobic (for me at least).

Anyways - haven't been to the aquarium since we move to jersey. Driving thru staten island and brooklyn to get there is something i've been pushing off.

ReeferNets said:
ZERO POINT ZERO.

The GA aquarium is actually expanding. I just wnet to the baltimore aquarium and the zoo in dc. The aqaurim looked great but the zoo was lacking since it was a dreary day.

What i dont undetstand is how the bronx zoo charges and is clsing exhibits but the zoo in dc doesnt charge and fully open.
DC is owned and funded by taxpayers via the smithsonian.

The bronx zoo is funded by WCS - which is funded via members/corporations.

Also - small tip -the bronx zoo is free on wednesdays. You have to pay for parking and some exhibits inside (butterfly, asia-tram, children's zoo, congo etc.) but you walk in for free.

Hawkeye said:
I've always enjoyed the zoo. Especially on weekdays. ;D

Besides the employees - we were the third car in line at one of the southern gate entrances...once we got in we went straight to the congo...no one was there except us. We love that place. We've been members now for 5 years.

Kids loved the butterfly exhibit and the childen's zoo is always a nice place - what with the crazy local peacocks running around freely (they aren't caged - they just fly wherever they want).

Regarding the closed sky-fari - you realize i am just nostalgic - that thing hasn't been updated since probably when the swiss sky company installed the thing and it's time was due (I mentioned to my wife the insurance was probably crippling). Haven't been to the world of darkness in a while. I recall when they had people manning the gate and you had to drop in a dime or whatever to get thru the turnstiles. The A/C was always bad in there and when the crowds came - it was a bit claustaphobic (for me at least).

Anyways - haven't been to the aquarium since we move to jersey. Driving thru staten island and brooklyn to get there is something i've been pushing off.

I agree about the weekdays. Tuesday after school opens is the best. No field trips yet and the weather is great.

We have been members on and off again since the late 70's. I hear you about being nostalgic. As great as the Congo is, I sometimes miss the South America exhibit that it replaced which was nowhere near as nice.

There were peacocks everywhere last week. More than I've ever seen.

The Brooklyn trek has kept me away from the aquarium as well; specifically the Veranzzano Bridge. I'm no a big bridge fan. :-[

Appparently they were funding by tax dollars. This may be why some of things were closed. I knew it was funded by tax dollars. Most every aquarium or zoo that is not privately owned recieves funds from local governments. Most of the time the government is the one to aquire the land and finance upgrades with bonds.

Restore City Funding to NYC’s Cultural Institutions
A big reason New York is the number one city on the planet is its cultural institutions. Those institutions include botanical gardens, museums, performing arts centers, zoos and aquariums. They provide:
vital support for the New York City economy and local businesses,
employment for New Yorkers,
a top visitor destination, and
education for millions of children.
We need your help. Let your voice be heard by City Hall!

1) Send the attached email to the New York City Council.

2) Send an email to the Mayor at nyc.gov.

Yep, city funding was a big part of it.

The endowment fund shrank due to the market drop and donations are down as well.

They had petitions going to restore city funding which we signed while there.