• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

considering switching from PC to T5, would love some input!

I'm considering changing out the lighting on my 36" 70g oceanic (softies & lps). Right now I have this PC fixture from Current: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+11348&pcatid=11348 192 total watts and I replace the two bulbs every 6 months at a total cost of $90 (pending sales) I'm happy with the coloring of the lighting.

I've heard a lot of great things about T-5 fixtures so I was looking into this one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18700 it would boost my watts a little bit up to 234.

Is it true that for the T-5 I only need to replace the actinic every 18 months and the daylight every 2 yrs? If so the T-5 would basically pay for itself in 2 yrs time in savings on my PC bulbs.

Does this seem like a good idea? Any other fixtures I should look into instead?

Thanks!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I highly recommend going from PCs to T5s. The algae outbreaks every 6mo drove us to distraction!

James you're quickly becoming my new best friend LOL yes, that does make it an even better deal and from a vendor I've delt with before and am happy to use. Are we still looking at Jan for the PA group buy? My bulbs are due to be replaced in Feb so that would be perfect timing!

Thanks for the idea!!!

side question, do t-5's not usually come with moonlights? I've grown to really like mine and think I would miss them, do those of you who use T5's just rig something up?

Candi, I have a similar tank like yours mine is the 58 gallon size. I use the TEK light 6 bulb and just love it. I use to have the Nova Extreme 4 bulb T5 light but it just was not what I wanted. The TEK light has never once gave me a problem and according to them they have the best reflectors on the market. The cool thing with the T5 bulbs is that you can use two different blue bulbs. I use 2 Gieseman pure actinic, 2 Gieseman aqua blues and 2 midday bulbs. The color that these bulbs bring out is like no other. I do change my bulbs every 9 months though. Right around this time you can see them begin to lose there intensity. If you have the money I definitely would reccomend the TEK light.
Jon

Teks don't have moonlights, the T5s that I have do but they didn't come from PA. Jan should be PA group buy yes. I need to check with one of our group buy venders tmrw. Unfortunately life got in the way this weekend. Some do some don't basically. You can get add on moonlights Wingo makes them for instance.