• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Conversion to 180g

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. We really appreciate it.

ricwilli said:
Phyl/John, the tank looks amazing. Makes me happier that I purchased a 180. One question. Is that a cap in the middle of the tank with a yellow trim around it? What is it called?

Richie, that's a scroll coral (thanks MikeM!). It's definitely one our favorite pieces. Good luck with your new tank. I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. I really like the foot print of a 180. It gives you a lot of flexibility without having to be 7' tall!

malulu

NJRC Member
wow! great progress... first time noticed this thread? i missed all the actions, must be happened while i was in a crunch mode few months back (crazy work hours).

may be a piece of "scroll coral" for the next month's raffle prize?
;D

John, you didn't happen to accidentally frag that scroll coral while you moved everything to the 180? I keep going back to the fts just to look at that piece.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have 2 frags of that, from before we owned the mother colony. Unfortunately they're both already spoken for. ;D

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Another shot of the scroll:
dsc_2363.jpg

And a shot of the Mystery Wrasse (thanks, AO):
dsc_2334.jpg

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
March of 2008
dsc_2539.jpg

August 2008
dsc_8046.jpg

We just switched the lights over last night from 3x400w of MH magnetic ballasts, reeflux bulbs to 3x250w of MH IceCap electronic ballasts with IceCap bulbs. I like the color a lot. I'm looking forward to the reduced electric bill!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks! They were 12K Reeflux on the 400s and these are 14k IceCap bulbs. I had a few corals that were starting to bleach a little bit before the switch over. I'm hoping the less intense light will help them get their color back.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This pic looks like we're keeping a "COWYT" tank (Coral Only With Yellow Tang!)

dsc_8046.jpg

For those of you who know the story with our tanks, can you believe there is coraline on the glass! I was shocked when we put on the black background and saw it. That pic was taken late at night, just after we finished installing the new lights. I'm hoping we can one tonight that shows the colors and growth a little better.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
And the interesting thing of note is that we started getting coraline after we changed to the GetTanked salt. Strange but true.

Now I need a scraper to get it off of there because I liked my clean glass. *sigh* never happy, right?

LOL on the YT being the only fish in the photo. I think that's because the lights had just come back on after an extended dark period. The rest of the fish thought they were having an early bedtime. They were probably all shocked to find it just a strangely long solar eclipse!

Your tank looks outrages, Phyl and John. You ought to be so proud. Hopefully I'll get some nice coralline growth once my new one is up and running. That is all Marco Rock, right? Unbelievable how quickly it colored up like that. WOW!

---
Wendy

I changed from 10 K Ushios to 15 K XMs and could not be happier .... still 400 watts ... the advantage of an office tank 8)

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Wow, looks really good John and Phyl.

I am hoping to get a lot of coralline growth when the new tank is up and running and I have a skimmer attached. I am also switching to GetTanked salt, so that might help too.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'd like the coraline to go away! LOL! I liked it better without it! ;D