• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Coral Beauty nipping corals?

I'm trying to figure out if my coral beauty is nipping my acans, they were all closed up, but it seemed to be biting around them, not them directly?

Do Coral Beautys normally have a taste for LPS? If so I need to borrow a fish trap :(.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I believe they do. I remember reading despite their name having coral in it you should not have it in with corals! Of course as always some people have luck with them together and some do not.

I caught mine nipping one not sure if it was just finishing the job on it or not. Generally the darn thing nips everything in the tank but nothing repeatedly.

It seemed fine the few months, but then I'm noticing my one brain coral is closed all day and my acan lord colony was dying and now the colony is closed up with the CB right near it.

Ugh I'll have to borrow a trap or buy one and put it in the sump to see if that is the case.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I have both CB and a flame angle in my tank. I always thought they nipped at corals. I waited a long time to add a clam to my setup to avoid a expensive dinner for them ::)

Lately I have realized that they were nipping the corals to pic up algae on rocks?? I am not 100% sure but my corals are fine.

I added a new clam 1 months ago and so far no issues.

On the other hand I have read all about how the CB or flame angle are threats to the corals.

How much are you feeding? The key is to keep them fed. I feed half a sheet of nori and 2 -3 cubes of mysis a day. I have about 12 - 13 fish.

Sunny

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
monroereef said:
How much are you feeding? The key is to keep them fed. I feed half a sheet of nori and 2 -3 cubes of mysis a day. I have about 12 - 13 fish.

This is very true, but then you have to worry about adding nutrients in the tank...That won't help your cyano Sunny! LOL

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Taz

Do you really believe that this is too much feeding? I mean I pour the cubes 4 - 5 times over 2 - 3 minutes. Every single shrimp is consumed before hitting the bottom.

Half sheet of nori is barely enough for yellow tang, purple tang, hippo tang, salifin tang, foxface, CB, flame and believe it or not my melanarus wrasse.

I have seen the green chromis going for it too ..

I feed every other day about 1 cube FOrm 2 and 1 cube brine or mysis with brine or pellets.

Nori how often should I be feeding it to my tangs and such? I feel like when I put a sheet in they never touch it.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
monroereef said:
Taz

Do you really believe that this is too much feeding? I mean I pour the cubes 4 - 5 times over 2 - 3 minutes. Every single shrimp is consumed before hitting the bottom.

Half sheet of nori is barely enough for yellow tang, purple tang, hippo tang, salifin tang, foxface, CB, flame and believe it or not my melanarus wrasse.

I have seen the green chromis going for it too ..

Everybody feeds differently. Some every day, every other day some once a week. That is your preference. Fish will eat any time you feed them, does that mean they really need it? I don't know, but keep in mind the more you feed the more they poop! LOL....My father feeds every day and has made his fish fat, I feed my fish once or twice a week. Mine may not be as big as his, but they have the color and are healthy and I have had them as long as him, but I am not battling hair algae like him....Just something to think about

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Algae MUST form a part of the diet for tangs. If they are not eating it then they are getting enough from your rocks. If that is not true then it will show on the fish health.

Which nori did you try? I use Ocean Nutrition Garlic laced green nori only. Garlic is known to induce appetite. You should try that. For the 3 - 4 fish that you mentioned, try 1/4 sheet a day.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Tazmaniancowboy said:
keep in mind the more you feed the more they poop!

I have read and that the fish poop makes the corals color more intense. I would not think the poop to be such a bad idea. My fish are not fat nor thin. However since I started the new feeding regime, once a day, I think my corals look nicer. But agreed, I also started seeing cyano :eek:

I feed nori every other dayish. Different tangs are more or less dependent on algae. Hippo and naso not as much as some others. I agree with Sunny angels pick constantly at everything looking for food.

Sunny you need more algae not less those are some heavy algae eaters ...minus the hippo.
I like the same algae that you feed also for what it is worth.

I never noticed the Cb I had nipping but something was keeping my corals closed . I removed him to see if it was the cause and everything opened up alot better . They are beautful fish but just can't be totally trusted in a reef type setup .

falconut

NJRC Member
I had my Flame Angel for 3 years. He didn't seam to bother any corals, but Xenia. He would just swim by and nip it every time he went by it. Then I got green zoas and they started looking crappy within days of adding them. After a few weeks, I noticed him nipping at them. I feed my tank every day and he's definetly not skinny. I think once they start and develop a taste for them they don't stop. Mine left most of my corals alone, but definitely bothered the others. Since I've had him out, they're getting better. I used a soda bottle trap and it worked great.

falconut said:
I had my Flame Angel for 3 years. He didn't seam to bother any corals, but Xenia. He would just swim by and nip it every time he went by it. Then I got green zoas and they started looking crappy within days of adding them. After a few weeks, I noticed him nipping at them. I feed my tank every day and he's definetly not skinny. I think once they start and develop a taste for them they don't stop. Mine left most of my corals alone, but definitely bothered the others. Since I've had him out, they're getting better. I used a soda bottle trap and it worked great.

That is what I heard also. Once they start they will never stop.