• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Coralife 75 Cone Skimmer vs. Reef Octopus Classic 1000 Hang-on-Back

Hello
I have an opportunity to swap my skimmer from Reef Octopus Classic 1000 HOB to Coralife 75.
Is Coralife 75 any better? I know it's in the sump skimmer, it's already good, nothing hangs from sump...
Anybody run's this skimmer?

Thanks
Aram

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I tried the Coralife 125 and didn't like it. It would not skim at times no matter what. Would it take apart but was clean and nothing stuck. I gave it away and bought a Nac7 which I loved. I now have the Hob Reef Octopus and works great. I would not trade as I feel the RO is a better skimmer.

I honestly like how Reef Octopus Classic 1000 HOB works, its just I can't sims to adjust cup...
It works once, 5 days later it's full, I empty reset and not it's full in 2 days :confused:

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I honestly like how Reef Octopus Classic 1000 HOB works, its just I can't sims to adjust cup...
It works once, 5 days later it's full, I empty reset and not it's full in 2 days :confused:
Similar problem I had with Coralife only it would not skim for week. One time it did over the weekend and went nuts causing my waste bucket to overflow dumping about 15g water on my floor.

As for the RO1000. During those 5 days are you adding anything to the tank as that can cause the skimmer act like that. On mine if I use AquaSafe Plus water condition to my top off. I have to turn off the skimmer for an hour or two.