• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

coraline algae color

from what i read the coraline goes from green to deep red/purple based on light intensity. I have Green Coraline in the big tank due to VHO's far from the water surface

some of my coraline is turning a almost black color...not sure what that means but i know it cant be good.... ???

Dose anyone else have Coraline growing outward from their rocks like plate coral? My Coraline has started growing outward in a couple spots, its like 1/2 to 3/4 inches out. Its a couple shades of dark purple.

daveh285 said:
Dose anyone else have Coraline growing outward from their rocks like plate coral? My Coraline has started growing outward in a couple spots, its like 1/2 to 3/4 inches out. Its a couple shades of dark purple.

sounds like scrolling coralline. I've seen pictures it looks more like a m. cap. coral then coralline.

daveh285 said:

Yes sounds like scrolling coraline, would personally say that is a good thing.

I received a Blue Tuxedo Urchin from another reefer when I purchased a fish. I've noticed the amount of coraline deminish since I added it to my reef tank. Why? does it eat it? I not happy with the faded look I have now, I used to have deep pink and purple before.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Urchins do eat coraline. Now there seems to be 2 schools of thought out there. 1. Get it out of there because it will go through it. 2. It actually helps to spread coraline becuase it poops it out all over your tank. You can try and add some nori to the tank and hopefully he will take to eating that instead of your beautiful coraline.

DaveK said:
jtravapd said:
can you buy anything to seed different colors in your tank? or is it just the purple up stuff?

This is one of the great times where you don't need to spend any additional money on your reef. If you see a color you like in a tank, ask the owner for a few scrapings. Most people I know would be happy to give you some.

Additives such as "Purple Up" are IMHO a waste of money, and are not needed.

+1 I just started getting some fun colors from that the Astrea snails brought along; light pink and lime green. When it starts to size up, everyone is more then welcome to partake.

But as for the dentist office tank; gold? Good lord.

mnat said:
Urchins do eat coraline. Now there seems to be 2 schools of thought out there. 1. Get it out of there because it will go through it. 2. It actually helps to spread coraline becuase it poops it out all over your tank. You can try and add some nori to the tank and hopefully he will take to eating that instead of your beautiful coraline.

Oops, didn't notice there were 3 pages to this thread.

I've heard of the urchin conundrum before, but if I call correctly, It's not from the poop the coralline comes back, but rather the uneaten mess it makes. And they can make big a mess

radiata

NJRC Member
Coralline algaes come in every color of the rainbow. I've even had lime green and a brick red coralline grow under anoxic conditions. (See http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic93666-11-1.aspx).

I currently have a nice orange coralline growing in my show tank, and I consider it to be the rarest marine specimen I've got. It is on a small rock, but if there are any-die hard coralline collectors following this thread, I'll let it go for just $300.