• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Coralline Rock

Does anyone have or know where I can buy a small piece of live rock thats covered in Coralinne Algae? I'm looking for the purple stuff. I basically plan to sand the coraline into water and then gently spray the water/coralinne dust into my tank and onto my rock work. I plan to leave it over night with my skimmer off and then start up my pumps after a few hours.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I believe AO sells real reef rock. those things are supposed to be beyond purple from the pics i've seen.

Are you just trying to seed the tank w/ coralline? Just go scrape someones back glass and suck it out. Or just give it time nd itll pop up by itself.

IMHO - Coraline has to be introduced into the tank somehow in a decent enough quantity to really take off. In my past experiences Coraline came in because I bought established live rock from other people that was in there for some time. When I started my new tank I used dry rock. Although It colored up and turned brown/live-rock color it NEVER started growing coraline. I had a year old + Full blown reef with nary a spot of Coraline. A friend of mine borrowed a rock from a friend and used it to scrape coraline into his tank. Within a week there were coraline explosions all over his liverock.

Lighting has a lot to do with it too. I have places it just will not grow because there is to much or to little light.

I'm sure when I get home from vacation my tank will need a good scraping. And my refugium has a lot growing on the glass. Your welcome to it

I've got a boat load of coralline in my frag tank and a bunch of smaller rocks if you want one. I can't keep if off my glass. You're welcome to take some scrapings yourself or take a small rock.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I believe AO sells real reef rock. those things are supposed to be beyond purple from the pics i've seen.

That's the coloring of the rock some may have a bit of real coraline but most of the purple is fake. I agree that the coraline needs to be introduced some how.

What's your loc? And I don't need to keep it I can come over scrape to my hearts content capture the purple stuff and leave you with your rocks. Or borrow a rock to get it in my tank and seeded and return it to you (or a substitute piece)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
That's the coloring of the rock some may have a bit of real coraline but most of the purple is fake. I agree that the coraline needs to be introduced some how.

really? i feel violated...

wow. lol i really thought that was real coraline.

It's a reef safe paint that they put. It fades over time as many people have discovered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk