• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Corals closed up for no reason

Hey guys I'm completely stumped. Maybe someone might have an idea because either I'm insane at this point or the corals are. After I did a regular water change the other day my corals all closed up instantly as soon as I turned the return pump back on.

The water temperature and salinity was spot on. Checked all the levels and had the store check it as well all top notch. Every fish and invert accounted for.

All the corals (especially zoas and palys) remain closed 3rd day in a row.

Only thing that is completely normal for some reason is a torch coral and a rock anemone (which is a new addition a day prior to this happening is it possible it did this somehow?)

My return pump has been vibrating loudly lately and not performing to its full potential. When I turned it back on after water change it caused lights to blink for a second. Thinking of a possible stray voltage I replaced it yesterday.

Guys any ideas what's going on here?

As a random side note my skimmer pump died a day before and my heater was heating more than usual last week so I replaced it. I don't know if it's all a coincidence or somehow related which I doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds normal, my corals sometimes close up for a day or two after I disturb the tank .. could be something as simple as a change in the water chemistry to temperature.. or the vibration from the filter is setting them off my suggestion is to watch em closely for another day or so I have had green star polyps stay closed for a week or more after being moved .. make sure to keep them clean of sand and debris .

So far its day 3 u unplugged everything except for a heater (brand new) and the new main pump. They are still closed unfortunately. Is 3 days cause for alarm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
When I had a similar issue. I turned all equipment off and test voltage in tank. Then one by one I plugged everything in testing voltage after each piece of equipment. When I saw a huge spike I unplugged it and continued and then replaced that equipment. In my case was a circulating pump. Many times heaters can cause this issue.