• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Corals closing up

Hey guys. I did a water change yesterday and forgot to check my skimmer before rushing off to work. I came home last night and my skimmer was overflowing and dumped into the tank. I came home all corals closed up. Duncan colony shriveled and some withered away and my coral elegance was already doing bad, its now dead. I can only do a 10 gallon water change at a time. 92 gallon with a 20 gallon sump. Any suggestions?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Did you change water or salt for this water change that set the skimmer off? How long was the skimmer going nuts for? I have had my skimmer overflow back into my sump before and it did not cause coral death. I would tell you normally to do a water change with what you have now and then go get some more water, but if the water was the problem then you want to get some new water.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
How long was the skimmer going nuts for? I have had my skimmer overflow back into my sump before and it did not cause coral death.
I have had this happen also with no Ill effects. the skimmer is pulling stuff out of the tank that was there originally, should be no harm. I suspect another problem. You should run carbon, but you Need to answer the water questions above before I can give better advice.

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
Since all you did was a WC the first thing i would check is your salinity. Maybe your mix was way to high or way to low.

Also during the WC did you happen to knock the sand bed around at all? That can release some nasty stuff too and could possibly explain why the skimmer went nuts.

Hello everyone. I only have a small container for my rodi aprrox 15 gallons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Why only 10 gallons at a time?

I only have a 15 gallon gallon container. I purchased 2 35 gallon containers and will be cleaning them this weekend. I am stuck lugging water in buckets in my basement heh. I hate it lol

Did you change water or salt for this water change that set the skimmer off? How long was the skimmer going nuts for? I have had my skimmer overflow back into my sump before and it did not cause coral death. I would tell you normally to do a water change with what you have now and then go get some more water, but if the water was the problem then you want to get some new water.

Well. I changed salt and the skimmer went nuts because I added too much and the skimmer line was high. I did another water change and added some carbon. My nitrates were high as is, I haven't been able to pay as much attention. Mortgages are booming right now and I am a slave to work. A downgrade may be coming soon

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Switching salts can be tricky and the effects looked like they played out on your corals. When you switch salts you want to go slow, either mix it is with your old salt or do smaller say 5g water changes at a time. Skimmer going crazy should not effect your corals. Good luck with the tank, and if you have any more questions ask.

Since all you did was a WC the first thing i would check is your salinity. Maybe your mix was way to high or way to low.

Also during the WC did you happen to knock the sand bed around at all? That can release some nasty stuff too and could possibly explain why the skimmer went nuts.

I think you are correct. Sand stirred up when was was dropped in.. Salinity was high but i had no additional water to dilute. It seems to be doing better now after some more water changes and using carbon.

Switching salts can be tricky and the effects looked like they played out on your corals. When you switch salts you want to go slow, either mix it is with your old salt or do smaller say 5g water changes at a time. Skimmer going crazy should not effect your corals. Good luck with the tank, and if you have any more questions ask.

Thanks!!