• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

corals not happy

so did a 15 gallon water change on my 990 galon tank yesterday all was happy and open before change, this morning 3/4 are closed and wilted all are soft corals. only change was used new type of salt instead of reef crystal i used crystal sea marine mix could have caused the problem and what should i test for? thanks jen

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Test Alk first, different salts can have different levels of alk and softies can be very sensitive to a big swing in alk. For the future, when switching salts do it gradually. I assume you meant 90 gallon tank and 15g (when adjusting for water volume lost to sand and rock) could be over 20%. Your corals might have just gotten shocked by the new salt. Some people will mix the salts together and then mix them in the water to make the transition easier or start with small water changes, say like 5 gallons and work your way up.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Also, how are you checking salinity with the new water?

Are you using RO/DI to make the new salt water?

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
sorry 90 alk 10 dkh but ph is only 7

The pH at 7 is extremely low. You need to increase it. If your ALK is at 10 then you are not measuring either pH or ALK correctly.
What test kits are you using?

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
7.6 is still low. What time of the day did u check the pH? The pH increases with lights. If 7.6 is in day time then it is lower in the night.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
First off go out and buy a refractometer, if you are going to be mixing your own saltwater it is essential. As I personally found out if your salinity is off then you are just working uphill (especially when you think it is fine). There is a little something screwy with your alk and ph readings as high alk and low PH generally do not co exist (assuming your test kits are accurate). Salifert and elos test kits are probably your best bet (hannah hand held checker for alk and phosphates are a nice bonus). BTW I do not get kickbacks from the local fish stores for sending people in for test kits as I am sure it looks like we are sending you on a large shopping trip. However, accurate test readings are imperative to get a diagnosis.

If you readings are correct, then I think you did spike your alk with the water change and that is what is causing your softies to shrivel. If you have the old salt you were using, I would probably recommend just a 5 gallon water change with the old salt and go from there. Do several smaller water changes with the old salt to bring things back into line. Then when you are ready to make the switch, as I said do it gradually.