• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Crab ID?

This is a crab I found in my tank awhile back, but could never snap a picture of to get an ID. Sorry for the blurriness, but any ideas?

74698662.jpg

img0237uk.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The only good crabs I have ever had are acro crabs, and that is not an acro crab. If you can get him out, i would. You don't want him turning into a problem later if you can get him now.

He is in my 14 gallon biocube, I have my 135 filling with RO water now as we speak.

Does it look like an emerald? but it has orange eyes

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I guess I am biased I have had nothing but bad things even with emerald crabs. The only crab we have really liked is the strawberry crab and that is because you will never seem them and they bother no one.

He looks like some kind of Xanthid to me, but there are so many types of crabs that it's hard to be sure. I would get rid of him ASAP. Put some bait in a small glass and try and catch him. He definitely is not a good guy.

lol he is pretty evil looking crab.i will take him if ur going to just flush him or something.i have a small tank with a few different crabs in it. ;D ;D

I have three of those same types (Xanthid) that came as hitchikers. I left them alone until recently when I purchased some mexican turbos only to find them vanishing a week later. I stayed up one night to observe and found them eating the snails alive. So mine will be up for grabs as well if I can catch them. They are pretty cool to look at but i'm about to lower them into a pit of seagulls.