• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Crab Problem

I recently converted my general 90 tank to all Sps. Took me three weekends to place all the 65 frags I have in rocks. I have had a problem with a long time hitch hiker----a green blue crab about the size of a cell phone..... Well, this morning when I checked the tank, it was as if a Tornado went through. 7 frags have been trashed..... Just boweled over, eaten etc. I dont know what to do....... Have some 16 Ora frags in the tank. He hides during the day in a rock tunnel and I am thinking of just blockading it to trap him inside.He is very caustious and cageyyyyyyyyy... Any recomendations?????
Thanks/

would this be the size of a early 90s cell phone, sidekick or nokia? :D

kidding.. you can always go crabbing by putting a peice of meat on the line and trying to lure him out, if you can narrow down the rock hes on/in/under you can remove the rock and flick him off, you can try a pest trap which ive heard are a hit or miss.

onefish2fish said:
would this be the size of a early 90s cell phone, sidekick or nokia? :D

kidding.. you can always go crabbing by putting a peice of meat on the line and trying to lure him out, if you can narrow down the rock hes on/in/under you can remove the rock and flick him off, you can try a pest trap which ive heard are a hit or miss.

The rock tunnel he hides in is in the bottom of the reef. No can do.........Yes, a sidekick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait till night, all lights out, sneak up and turn tank lights on, should blind it, reach in and grab him then make crab cakes! ;D

I've built crab traps out of Dollar Store plastic containers. It takes a lot of patients and it may take several nights, but eventually all crabs will go for a smelly piece of shrimp.

Trapping is your best bet, even if it sounds like poor odds.

Good Luck

Try to catch him at night, when lights are out. Lure him with some meat or something you know he'll go for.

What a bummer!

Since you don't want to have to tear your entire tank apart to get him out, try and make a trap out of eggcrate. How many inches is this guy?

JerseyWendy said:
Try to catch him at night, when lights are out. Lure him with some meat or something you know he'll go for.

What a bummer!

Since you don't want to have to tear your entire tank apart to get him out, try and make a trap out of eggcrate. How many inches is this guy?

Wendy, he is like 4 inches across. Monster !!!! Destroyed one of my favorite SPS pieces last night...... Going hunting tonight with the lights out.................

JerseyWendy said:
Good luck, trigger. You'll get that monster, I'm sure of it.

Ok Wendy, heres the plan. My girlfriend has an ingenious idea. She has sacraficed(what a waste)one of her black fish net stockings. I have carefully cut it about 5 inches square and tied fishing line to all four sides. The fish net trap will be laid(no pun here intended) on top of the reef where he was eating last night. Each of the four lines will be tied to a pole which will sit atop the tank. In the middle will lie a nice piece of shrimp. Hopefully he likes fishnets and walks into it and then I can quickly pull the bugger out. Hows that for a plan??????????

trigger99 said:
Ok Wendy, heres the plan. My girlfriend has an ingenious idea. She has sacraficed(what a waste)one of her black fish net stockings. I have carefully cut it about 5 inches square and tied fishing line to all four sides. The fish net trap will be laid(no pun here intended) on top of the reef where he was eating last night. Each of the four lines will be tied to a pole which will sit atop the tank. In the middle will lie a nice piece of shrimp. Hopefully he likes fishnets and walks into it and then I can quickly pull the bugger out. Hows that for a plan??????????

I gotta be honest here, when I read that I lost the contents of what was in my mouth. LOL.

It does sound like a good idea though. I've got my fingers crossed for you. Keep your eyes open 'cause I'm sure the "monster" will go for the shrimp.

Long live fish-net stockings! ;D

JerseyWendy said:
trigger99 said:

I gotta be honest here, when I read that I lost the contents of what was in my mouth. LOL.

It does sound like a good idea though. I've got my fingers crossed for you. Keep your eyes open 'cause I'm sure the "monster" will go for the shrimp.

Long live fish-net stockings!

Wendy, sorry to make u almost choke but its a good idea and the second best use for a pair of fishnets dont you think. Hope black is his/her color as red is out of stock at the moment. Wish me luck.....

If the fishnets work as a crab trap , you may have to file an applications patent on this one.

Even the best trap may take several nights of baiting so be patient!

Good Luck!

Mates, no luck catching the crab. The fishnet concept would have worked flawlessly had the crab made it to the top of the reef. Lying inside the fishnet trap was a fine piece of jumbo shrimp tied to a rock with fishing line. Every hermit , peppermint and blood shrimp in the tank came to the banquet except "El Crabo". At one time there were over 20 inverts all gouging themselves on the shrimp. I could have easily just raised every one from the tank with one lift. However, the crab just stayed below the top of the reef moving back and forth doing whatever. He could be seen but was unreacheable. Twice I lifted up two rocks but he was gone in a flash......

I am so frustrated. What a waste of a new pair of fishnets. Perhaps it time to bring in the Navy Seals..........or a harpoon........