• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cracking sound coming from my tank????

After all these damn questions I’ve been asking I should move to the neb section. But this question is for the pros. I heard it once or twice about months ago now I hear it almost every night. It’s a loud cracking sound the first time I heard it I thought the glass cracked. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is making the sound. But it’s honestly like the glass is cracking. I’ve tried to record it but of course it only happens when I’m unprepared

Could it be a pistol shrimp?

How big is your tank? Is it laying on a slab or a subfloor?
If you heard your glass cracking the next thing would be the sound of water so I don’t think it’s your tank glass making that sound

Mantis shrimp can make a loud cracking sound. I used to hear one in my tank late at night. It sounded like someone was hitting the glass with a coin. If you have fish, shrimp and snails mysteriously disappearing with no bodies it's likely a mantis shrimp.