• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Craigslist experience

Pros, Cons, Things to watch out for?

I've been eyeing some things over there but don't really know anything about craigslist... help.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just like anything else on the internet, you have to be careful. We bought our daughters whole bedroom set off of Craig's list and had a great experience. But you always hear about horror stories too. If you're picking something up, I would bring someone along with you just to be safe.

As Brian stated Genevieve's furniture is from craigslist. I also found someone on there to come and get the cracked 240 gallon tank. If your selling, make sure you only take cash, don't do transactions alone, etc. There are a lot of scams out there but no more than anywhere else. Use your judgement.

I suggest getting a phone number and bring someone along like brian said.

Always get a picture of what you're buying. And don't do a money exchange through paypal with the intention of picking up later on.

I have used it many times (bought and sold) and never had any real problems. I've bought 3 fish tanks among many other things on craigslist... The ONLY problem I have come across are sellers telling me they are selling me a complete set-up. Then when I go to set the the tank up, that's when I realize a few key components are missing. I just bought a 120 Oceanic tank last week. I spent all night last night trying to put it together (a little frustrating ???)... but I paid $250 for it (has a very nice oak stand and canopy too I must add!) and the seller even delivered it right to my doorstep... So I really cant complain.

3 months ago, I bought a 42" Toshiba HDTV flat screen TV for $300. The family was moving to Texas and just needed to get rid of it by that weekend. Now I can't get enough of NBA & NHL playoffs!!
On a side note.. If you plan on selling anything on craigslist... Of all the people that say they are coming to see the the item, half of them never show up.

i bought a 1/2hp chiller from a guy off craigslist for $400 about two months ago. he said it was only used for a year, manufacturer date supported his claim. so far so good. i went to his house to pick it up. he had 2 pretty impressive reef tanks. being that i know where this guy lives, i felt pretty confident in what i was buying. he had a bunch of used stuff he was selling (pumps, reactors, etc). but i think i would have a problem buying high electronics this way. also, like the other posts say, if you are talking about a high dollar transaction, bring someone else with you. especially if you are picking something up from a place like Newark!