• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cualerpa containment

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I put cualerpa in the sea horse tank initially and it quickly started to spread. Pulled bunch out and brought it to Mike's meeting, probably tossed, no biggy.
Anyway the sea horses liked it so I wanted to keep it but try to stop it from spreading.
I placed it in a one inch diameter short PVC pipe and pressed it as far down in sand as possible. So the runners now grow up instead of the sand. Will have to trim soon but seems to be working.

Attachments

• DSC_0002_kindlephoto-758255280.jpg
    DSC_0002_kindlephoto-758255280.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Good idea.
If you do run over with extra, lemme know, I'll try some in my sump.
Glad to hear the horses are doing well.

Doesn’t Cualerpa go sexual and spread like a weed? I love your idea of root control but the ability to spread sexually Has kept it off my list of useable macro algae’s. Keep me updated on your success or at least however it goes.

Doesn’t Cualerpa go sexual and spread like a weed? I love your idea of root control but the ability to spread sexually Has kept it off my list of useable macro algae’s. Keep me updated on your success or at least however it goes.

It can but there are ways to prevent it. Keeping it trimmed is by far the best way to prevent it. If in a sump, 24 hour light cycle is another. Tangs. Fox's and others will readily done on it as well, just in case.
In my experience, it grows way faster then cheato which make it ideal for sump use. In a display, just keep those runners in check and you should be good.
@MadReefer make sure you keep an eye out for stray pieces, they will attach quickly.

Been trying to find some myself hard to.come by these days with everyone wanting cheato

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
It can but there are ways to prevent it. Keeping it trimmed is by far the best way to prevent it. If in a sump, 24 hour light cycle is another. Tangs. Fox's and others will readily done on it as well, just in case.
In my experience, it grows way faster then cheato which make it ideal for sump use. In a display, just keep those runners in check and you should be good.
@MadReefer make sure you keep an eye out for stray pieces, they will attach quickly.

Been trying to find some myself hard to.come by these days with everyone wanting cheato

I do have stragglers from first putting it in.
I will be trimming soon so if you want some I will hold it for you.

I do have stragglers from first putting it in.
I will be trimming soon so if you want some I will hold it for you.
Hit Mark up first. With all the quarantine stuff going on I'm actually working more and have little time for much else besides sleep.
When all this settles down I'll definitely take you up on the offer
Oh and thank you