• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cuttlefish consortium

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So, day 5 in hospital bed and have been doing a ton of research pn something I've always been fascinated with, cuttlefish.

Im thinking of starting a species specific tank with dwarf cuttle (sepia bandensis).
If it does happen I will be starting with an egg order and raising hatchlings. The egg order will not be put in for another 4-5 months. The problem being is that eggs are shipped in groups, and often there are 4-6 viable hatchlings (i've read of some that hatch 10-12) which is more than I can effectively raise.

I'm wondering if anyone has interest in this...
I will pay for the eggs and raise the young.
Cuttlefish raising is expensive, I will keep 1-2 of the survivors and will sell you a 6 week old cuttlefish at the cost of raising it.

Alternately, if no interest here, I may contact Jenkenens.

Just a thought right now. Gaugeing interest.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've always been fascinated by all four of the cephalopods (cuttles, octopus, squid, and nautilus), with most interest in cuttlefish. Their ability to not only immediately change color, but to also be able to change their texture....fascinating! However, although I once considered a tank, what turned me off was at best, they live about two years. Too disheartening.

Always thought cuttlefish were cool. Chameleons of the sea. Can't go in on this, but if you go ahead with it...will definitely follow any threads on the journey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Not going to happen at this point. While bored in hospital I was gathering information and thought it might be feasible, but now that I'm out I realize I just dont have the time requirements. The time sink comes from raising them through the juvenile stage as for the first few months of life they need to be fed small mysis shrimp multiple times a day, requiring you have a mysis station or a constant supply incoming, which gets quite expensive. Water changes are also extensive.

Theres not much more to it aside from having a properly established tank free of tankmates. Corals can be kept but no LPS or stingers. No CUC as they will be eaten with the exception of hermits. There are certain modification to the tank and overflows required. Water quality has to be maintained expertly. Skimming needs to be high and water changes frequent - many recommend 2x per week, with some recommending up to 50% water change per week as cuttlefish eat live shrimp/snails and are very messy eaters.

Information is lax at best and you have to dig through a ton of articles and papers to get a general idea on whats going on. Near the end of my research I found this article, http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-10/feature/index.php , which covers most of the basics.

Last edited:

horseplay

NJRC Member
I think one prerequisite for keep these type of creatures is the ability to culture photo, pods and mysid shrimps. Mysid shrimp is like 20 cents each you know how small it is...

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Yeh. This was crazy laying in the hospital for 14 days talk.
Never gonna happen.
Realistically no ability of time requirements, effort, and economic requirements.
Was just stupid thought while killing time in hospital.
I've decided to focus my efforts on developing a weather machine instead.