• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cyano bateria or diatoms?

Its more brown then red and only on sand bed. Started about 3 wks ago. Nitrates are .05 phosphates .03. I also feel that I have a lot of flow for my tank. I've been doing 20g water changes for past 2 months. I run marine pure plates 1 8x8x4 just added last sunday and 2 8x8x1added 2 months ago. I does nopox 1ml daily starting 2 wks ago. And run carbon here and there. Any suggestions ??

Attachments

• 20170917_195736.jpg
    20170917_195736.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 20170917_195743.jpg
    20170917_195743.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 20170917_195803.jpg
    20170917_195803.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 20

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
It could be from the nopox , can't confirm though as I've never used it. Is it a diy version?

No I'm using the real thing and I've read that it can do eradicate a d forum it but can't figure out what to do from there. When I was using it at high dose 5 to 10ml I don't have any cyano but I had high nitrates (50) to start. When I dropped to 2.5 it started appearing then I went to 1ml because of the directions to the nopox and to try to keep my tank out of the uln category.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Its more brown then red and only on sand bed. Started about 3 wks ago. Nitrates are .05 phosphates .03. I also feel that I have a lot of flow for my tank. I've been doing 20g water changes for past 2 months. I run marine pure plates 1 8x8x4 just added last sunday and 2 8x8x1added 2 months ago. I does nopox 1ml daily starting 2 wks ago. And run carbon here and there. Any suggestions ??

Looks like cyano. When you siphon it out does it come as like a sheet? I have the same stuff in my tank which I am battling but to speak the truth I have not done too much to fight it (beside siphon out); I need to get on top of it.

horseplay

NJRC Member
It's hard to say. I still dose diy nopox and love it. I had cyano a few months ago but now all disappeared. I syphoned it out and replaced with some new sand. I think in general once the tank is balanced these nuisances will disappear. I ran out of mb7 a while ago so have not been using that. Have not noticed any difference.

I think I'll slowly remove sand over the next couple weeks and we will see where it goes from there. My tank has definitely gone through some changes over the past couple months.

I never got Cyano from NoPox, had it once on the sand and killed it with ChemiClean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sure looks like cyano... My guess is there's not much flow on the sand bed. I got rid of my cyano by switching to LED lights from CF and adding fresh sand to the bottom along with increased flow. Then I siphoned it out and had to siphon once more and it was gone. For me light was a factor I believe. What I do know is that I threw a rock in the sump that was covered with it and it was gone in 10 days or so.

I don't know what type of lights you run but it could be the spectrum, flow, or the sand

horseplay

NJRC Member
Light is definitely a factor. More likely to have cyano with T5 than LED in my experience. However it does not mean you will definitely get cyano with any type of light. I siphoned out some of the affected sand and it was gone by itself.

Leave it alone it will solve it self over time. It's going through a cycle. I dose nopox now not sure it does anything to be honest. Maybe I will stop dosing for a month and see if a see any changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyano cycles... cant remember what the period is, think it's 6 weeks. I will disappear for a week or so and gradually come back. I've watched it happen in my tank. It didn't go away for good until I made a lighting change. However, this was just my experience.

I wanted to try chemiclean but didn't like the idea of adding anit-biotics to the tank with the increased depleation of oxygen.