• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cyano

Hello
Looks like I am seeing some cyano on my rocks. My phos levels don't appear to be very bad. Other than keeping phosp levels in check. What else can one do to get rid of cyano.?

I had a really bad case of this about six months ago. Someone recommended I use a product called chemiclean. It took two or three doses with a water change after each dose but it worked wonders hasn't been back yet.

Thanks DownBeach that was very informative read. I believe my issue with cyano is evident. I have been dosing Zeo products, Coral snow, zeobak, amino acids, potassium, and Pohls
I have also been feeding heavy trying to keep fish healthy. I am going to cut down on frozen and increase flow a bit. I am also going to read up on cyano treatments. I am staying away from any medications or treatments as I think this can be handled another way.

High phos is usually the cause. Over feeding, poor flow, to much light, All can contribute. Make sure your test kit is good. I would start by leaving the lights off for a few days. The chemiclean is a good product I have used it before but your only masking your problem. Cyano is nasty if it gets out of control.

High phos is usually the cause. Over feeding, poor flow, to much light, All can contribute. Make sure your test kit is good. I would start by leaving the lights off for a few days. The chemiclean is a good product I have used it before but your only masking your problem. Cyano is nasty if it gets out of control.
I agree. Along with the treatment I also did a 3 day lights out, cut back on feeding and stopped using Marine snow and switched to Fuel and minimum use of reef roids. I also stopped feeding formula one frozen concoctions and the like and stuck with slow pellet feeding for fish. I also change my Carbon and Phosphate pellets every two weeks.

Cyano almost put me out of the hobby about 3 times its very annoying. I use to get it when I would leave the metal halides on for long periods of time. Also when i would feed frozen food there seems to be something with that that always gave me it. Keep your head up and your lights off for at least 3-4 days if you can I wouldnt add anything and dont feed either. You will see the cyano dissapear but if you dont find the cause like Arnold "it will be back"