• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dave's 60 Gallon Cube

It has been 6 months since I purchased my tank off of CL, and so far I am pleased with the progess.  The tank was not in good shape when I received it (algae everywhere), so it has come a long way since then.

Here is a rundown on my tank:

Cube: 2’ X 2’ X 2’ open top.
Total Gallons: 60 approx.
Approx. 3 in Sand Bed
Approx. 65 Lbs of Live Rock
Lighting http://www.current-usa.com/outerorbithqit5ho.html%20model%201070
Light  10 hours blue, 6 hours with MHD 10K added, and overnight moons.

Two overflow chambers –
Chamber 1 - GAC, Mechanical Filter – Floss Pad
Chamber 2 – Phosban

Return pump that feeds two return nozzles (locline) which partially acts as a mini power head.

Powerhead: Koralia 2

Livestock:

Fish:

4 True Percula
1 Orchid Dottyback
1 Yellow Tang
1 Yellowtail Damsel
1 Royal Gramma
1 Green Mandarin
1 Flame Hawkfish
1 Blue/Green Chromis

Inverts:

Assorted reef safe hermits (approx. 20)
Assorted Snails – Turbo, nassarius snails,  cerith (approx. 20)
2 peppermint shrimp
3 Mithrax Crabs
Strombus Sp.
Other hitch-hikers – including mini feather dusters and mini-brittle star

GBTA
T. Maxima

Corals:

Gorgonian (unknown species)
Finger Leather
Open Brain Trachyphyllia geoffroyi
Green Torch and Brown Torch
Frogspawn
Hammer
Blasto
Candy Cane
Assorted Zoo Frags
Blue Mushrooms
Watermelon Mushrooms
Red Mushrooms
Assorted Mushroom Rock
Pipe Organ
Button Polyp

Early Tank Pic - Not in good shape

2296_20_06_09_3_58_06.JPG

Recent Pics

2296_20_06_09_3_59_19.JPG

2296_20_06_09_3_49_42.JPG

2296_20_06_09_3_55_58_1.JPG

2296_20_06_09_3_55_58_0.JPG

2296_20_06_09_3_55_59_2.JPG

2296_20_06_09_3_55_59_3.JPG

Looks good, I like the ricordea and clam the best. The black & white snail next to the ricordea looks like a sundial snail which is a zoanthid eating predator. I would get it out of the tank.

Thanks. I truly appreciate the feedback, since I consider myself a newbie to this hobby, so all feedback is welcomed.

Fortunately, in this case, those are actually just empty shells, meant to add to the aquascaping look and feel.

That's good that it's empty. When I started in the hobby I noticed them on some corals I bought and didn't remove them because I didn't know what they were. In fact I didn't even know there was such a thing as a predatory snail that ate corals, I just thought they all ate algae.

how is your yellow tang doing in that tank?

I thought tangs required long tanks since they like to swim fast and pick algae off of rock. Yours looks pretty small still though, and happy!

The tang was my wife's doing. It is fairly small, and is doing well though. My rock is in the center so it goes around the rock and through the cave.

So far so good, but obviously will have to find a new home if that changes.

I have made some changes in the last month and a half to my setup. Although they are relatively minor.

Added about another 25 lbs of rock. Done with rock

Took out the filter floss all together.

Moved to a weekly GAC rotation. Three media bags partially filled, each has a total lifespan in the tank of approx. 3-4 weeks. FIFO

This has been working really well for me so far. All my corals are growing strong. LPS, SPS, Shrooms, Zoos, a little of everything.

Hey Dave sorry I have not commented on your tank before. Looks really great. Funny we have some of the same corals like next to each other :D I did a double take a couple times.

How about a new FTS?

JRWOHLER said:
Hey Dave sorry I have not commented on your tank before. Looks really great. Funny we have some of the same corals like next to each other :D I did a double take a couple times.

How about a new FTS?

Thanks. I will do that. I have been in a bit of a transition period, while I had a piece of live rock curing.

I will post a FTS soon. Maybe before I have everything settled, and maybe one a little later.

My tank is definitely in the growing out stage.

Tank is in a bit of a transitional state, but here is an updated FTS and a pic of my clown hosting with the nem.

FullTankInTransition.jpg

HostingtheNem.jpg