• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dead Bird's Nest

So, last week I leave in the morning after spending the usual five minutes of staring at it. Everything looked fine except for one of the brances of my Bird's Nest had a white tip on it. I thought that was weird and figured I'd look into it when I got home. I arrived home 8 hours later to find the entire colony bone white..... All parameters were fine save for nitrates a little high and temp was a few degrees high because of the heat wave, but nothing extraordinary! All other corals look fine....

Any ideas on what happened? Could I have prevented it? and does anyone in Bergen County have a frag that I can purchase.... (I can't make it to the Swap this weekend)

Such rapid decline is really strange given that the other corals are fine. How big was the colony? How old? Absolutely nothing else declined? I had something similar when I changed MH bulbs and left the corals exposed to the new bulbs, but then my whole right half of the tank bleanched in a matter of hours.

I have a few frags to sell. If you know someone from your neighbourhood that goes to the swap I can send it by them, or if you can come to Harrison PATH station or NYC on a weekday morning, you can pick it up in person.

The colony was about the size of a baseball, maybe larger. I grew it from a 1" frag that I put in the tank last October.. Thanks for the frag offer - - I may pick one up from Steve this weekend.

It's very strange as everything else looks fantastic - my mushrooms aren't quite as open as they usually are, but they're looking healthy. My SPS all look fine, my caps are fine, the anthelia is doing it's usual job of overtaking the bottom of my tank and the fish all look happy. I'm baffled.