• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Deep Blue Rimless 60 Cube or Deep Blue Rimless 80 Gallon Frag Tank.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So I am torn between the two tanks. Help me make a decision!

I love the shallow look of the 80 Gallon Frag tank, and the dimensions are not to far off from my original 90. However, After seeing the living room without the 90, I realized how much space it was taking. I then looked into the 60 Cube and the dimensions are perfect and it wouldn't take up so much space but the issue will be the limited space I will have for a sump and reactors under the stand.

The plan for the new tank will for high end zoas, lps, and sps. I will be very selective on what goes in. I am not to worried about fish as, I will probably just go for higher end wrasses. I will keep my frag tank going and use that to grow out the rest of my coral collection.

I don't know what to do...

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
With the 60 your stand will be 2x2 so you will probably have to get a custom sump made to fit what you need to in there. I know PaulM just had one made for the same size so you might want to drop him a line. When I had the 45g which is the same dimensions, it was cramped. I had the sump on one side, a container for topoff on the other and the reactors sitting on top of the ato container. It can be done but you have to plan it very well.

I love the 80 frag tank and I think you could have a lot more fun with it. Depending on what equipment you still have kicking around, might also be a factor because obviously you would need more for the 48 inch long tank.

I would go with the 80. Can't beat the space you will have. If you get cube your gonna be limiting yourself in space under as well as in the tank. Plus your gonna need more punch from your lights to get the light into the lower reaches.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I think the advantage the 80 Gallon has right now would definitely be the space it will provide me. The 60 gallon cube looks so good though. As far as equipment, I am trying to be a minimalistic as I can with this setup.

Controller - Apex Neptune
Lighting - AI Vega or Kessil A360W
Powerhead - MP40w
Sump - DIY or Custom
Skimmer - SRO-SS1000XP
Dosers - 1.1 ml BRS Dosers
ATO - Breakout Box w/ Aqualifters
Reactors - Kalk stirrer and Aquamaxx Bio-Pellet Reactor.
Chiller - CurrentUSA 1/3HP

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
80. With the amount of corals you have been picking up lately . you are going to need the room lol.

haha + the ones with the coral group buy and the chalices and rbta from you, I'll be overflowing!! I need a bigger frag tank. LOL

i have the DB 30 gal 24"x24"x12" i had a custom sump made for it which takes up almost 99% of my stand, stock stand from DB. go with the 4' tank. i wish i did that from the get go.

Any cube is gonna turn into a DT. You know I'm right. Then you'll still be looking for a frag tank. Skip it, get the 80.

I ran the 60 gallon frag tank 48 x 24 x 12 and LOVED IT, I wish I had the 80g, but OG was sold out and I needed it that day.

I would DEFINITELY do the 80 gallon over the 60g cube! The 48 x 24 footprint w/ the height is an amazing tank and just awesome. With the 60g cube you basically can go straight up and it limits the fish you can keep.

With the 80g cube I would do the following equipment:

1. Deep Blue 80g Tank 48 x 24 x 17/18
2. Custom stand
3. 40 breeder custom sump (skimmer, fuge, return)
4. 2 x AI Sol Blues (plenty of light)
5. Reef Octopus Water Blaster HY-5000 Pump (feed tank + reactors)
6. 2 x Avast marine reactors for GFO + carbon
7. Apex Neptune Jr (control heater + fuge light + return + skimmer)
8. Skimmer XP 1000SSS (I ran this on a 75g tank w/ 75g sump no problems, thing is a beast!)
9. Rock I would get from ultimate corals in Jackson, NJ (vendor here, Mark is his name, great guy to deal with)
10. Sand I think ultimate corals can get as well
11. I would change the stock bulkheads on the deep blue tank (they're a bit cheaply made)
12. AWESOME SETUP :).

I ran the 60 gallon frag tank 48 x 24 x 12 and LOVED IT, I wish I had the 80g, but OG was sold out and I needed it that day.

I would DEFINITELY do the 80 gallon over the 60g cube! The 48 x 24 footprint w/ the height is an amazing tank and just awesome. With the 60g cube you basically can go straight up and it limits the fish you can keep.

With the 80g cube I would do the following equipment:

1. Deep Blue 80g Tank 48 x 24 x 17/18
2. Custom stand
3. 40 breeder custom sump (skimmer, fuge, return)
4. 2 x AI Sol Blues (plenty of light)
5. Reef Octopus Water Blaster HY-5000 Pump (feed tank + reactors)
6. 2 x Avast marine reactors for GFO + carbon
7. Apex Neptune Jr (control heater + fuge light + return + skimmer)
8. Skimmer XP 1000SSS (I ran this on a 75g tank w/ 75g sump no problems, thing is a beast!)
9. Rock I would get from ultimate corals in Jackson, NJ (vendor here, Mark is his name, great guy to deal with)
10. Sand I think ultimate corals can get as well
11. I would change the stock bulkheads on the deep blue tank (they're a bit cheaply made)
12. AWESOME SETUP :).

What rock does ultimate corals get. Did you mean reef rocks? That would be ultra corals. Does ultimate carry that too?

Ultimate corals has dry base rock available. It may be reef rocks but it's goos rock

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2