• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Diabetic mongrel

I know this sounds very ‘uncaring’ but how does one figure out that a dog needs insulin? It honestly would never occur to me look into this so just wondering how someone would figure this one out.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I know this sounds very ‘uncaring’ but how does one figure out that a dog needs insulin? It honestly would never occur to me look into this so just wondering how someone would figure this one out.
According to the SPCA: The owner's dog passed away and wife surrendered the dog to them. After some tests (Could be urine or blood)was determined diabetic. There are other signs as I googled it-
  • Excessive water drinking and increased urination.
  • Weight loss, even though there may be an increased appetite.
  • Decreased appetite.
  • Cloudy eyes (especially in dogs)
  • Chronic or recurring infections (including skin infections and urinary infections)

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Did they shave her hair? My son used to do that with his golden. As she got older, she had trouble in the summer and the heat. I feel that there has been a change in the foods we are feeding our dogs. More and more of the breeders I know are seeing dogs with allergies, diabetes and other diseases that we never saw before.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Update:
The poor dog was not doing well this past weekend so wife took it to the Vet. Unfortunately, it went blind because of the diabetes. He walked into everything inside and outside. Putting drops in his eye hoping for the best but he is getting worse each day. Shame cause he is very well behaved and loving dog.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Update:
The poor dog was not doing well this past weekend so wife took it to the Vet. Unfortunately, it went blind because of the diabetes. He walked into everything inside and outside. Putting drops in his eye hoping for the best but he is getting worse each day. Shame cause he is very well behaved and loving dog.
So sorry to hear this.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Sad news. Poor Simba had to be euthanized tonight. Was not doing well all weekend and vet said no matter what we do expect the inevitable. Rest in peace Magoo.

So sorry Mark. Simba was comforted by the care you guys gave him, and blessed with your love since you took him in. May Simba Rest In Peace.