• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Did anyone try the TUNZE diy wavemaker?

just curious. Has anyone looked at the tunze 6100 diy wavemaker on RC? I am thinking about making one. It is just an acrylic box and some electronics to run it. You have to have a Tunze 6100 or similar DC pump. Should I try it?

jceli728 said:
Renne,

I think you can achieve the same effect of a wave box without having a bulky box in your tank with vortech power heads.

Those are beautiful videos. WOW.
I think this DIY is a DIY because it is creating the same effect for 200 bucks instead of the 800 dollars for the two vortech pumps. I would put the bulky box on the outside of an acrylic tank. It would stick right to it. I am halfway done making the box and just bought a used tunze 6101 on RC. Can't wait to see ;D
RENEE

malulu

NJRC Member
Renee,

i read the whole RC thread...
i think it make sense to do TWO switchs instead of one switch.
1st to control the ON-duration, and the 2nd to control the OFF-duration.

if you are not started yet, please hold on...
i am asking one of my best friend to help to give me the latest updated circuit... he is a PRO in this field!! would be piece of case for him to come up with something useful.
;)

malulu said:
Renee,

i read the whole RC thread...
i think it make sense to do TWO switchs instead of one switch.
1st to control the ON-duration, and the 2nd to control the OFF-duration.

if you are not started yet, please hold on...
i am asking one of my best friend to help to give me the latest updated circuit... he is a PRO in this field!! would be piece of case for him to come up with something useful.
;)

David. I am almost done with my circuit. I am trying to do the LED on it. I have spare parts, i could build another one for another tank. SOunds great to have a friend like that. I had to read all about that schematic to understand the symbols. Circuit board schematic for dummies i think it was called.

jceli728 said:
You could create the wave effect with only one vortech power head, I believe you told me you had one. Also check out this other video of another DIY without the box using a Tunze Stream 6100.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7sjDF49n3Q
yea, i bought the vortech, it is set for pulse in my small tank in the family room. it only makes 1 inch waves. i will take a short video to show you tomorrow.

malulu

NJRC Member
Renee,

I sent my friend email and ask him do it asap... and never heard from him... also can't reach on the phone... I was busy doing work this weekend, so it got forgotten until this morning...

so i called him again this morning, he did not see my email...? because for unknown reason, it was routed to his junk email box... anyway, he will give me the drawing within next 24 hours... counting (23 hours to go)...
;D

BTW:
this is my spec. for him:
;)
- a 3 ways switch for: ON, OFF, and Timer mode
- timing would be adujstable between 0 to 4 secs (Two individual adjustable settings for ON and OFF).
- LED-1 to show on/off status
PLUS- a push button (as PAUSE) for fish feeding time...
- can be adjustable for timing... (0 to 10 mins)
- LED-2 to show it is in pause mode (so we won't mistakely think it was off if only have 1 LED)
:p

one more note:
i am planing to try it first, then we may have a DIY session on one of the meeting?
:D

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I'm a diy person but this stuff is over my head. I'll just keep reading
and following you'll progress. Thanks for the links and videos and keep them coming.

malulu

NJRC Member
my friend finally got the *drawing* for me @4am in the morning... hope it would work...

BUT...
:eek:
LOL!!!

i would need some time to try to re-draw or translate it later...
;D

332_22_10_08_6_52_06.jpg

malulu

NJRC Member
Ok, here is the final...

i did the translation the best i could... enjoy!
;D

To Recap the features:
- a 3 ways switch for: ON, OFF, and Timer mode
- timing would be adujstable between 0.5 to 5 secs (Two individual adjustable settings for ON and OFF).
- LED-1 to show on/off status
- a push button (as PAUSE) for fish feeding time...
- can be adjustable for timing... (~0.5 min to ~4 mins)
- LED-2 to show it is in pause mode (so we won't mistakely think it was off if only have 1 LED)

332_23_10_08_2_18_39.jpg

malulu

NJRC Member
now... whom would be the guinea pig(s)?
;)

I would help to get the parts, and document the progress step by step...

Just to be clear, i decided that I am NOT going to make one for myself... because I am not sure my tank stand can withheld the shake...
:mad:

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
malulu said:
now... whom would be the guinea pig(s)?
;)

I would help to get the parts, and document the progress step by step...

Just to be clear, i decided that I am NOT going to make one for myself... because I am not sure my tank stand can withheld the shake...
:mad:

There's one way to find out!!!

Bob