• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DIMMABLE Chinese LEDs

not to mention the risk of having it lost in customs or something. (Probably the biggest issue to most people.)

Take it easy on the Customs guys George. We don't lose things we just hold them for "intensive inspection":grin:

Anyway I emailed the guy too wondering about the breakdown of blues to whites. He stated 23B/22W. If the Apollo I had was dimable I would definatly have kept it. This definatly has my interest and I may just give it a go. Further pusing back my purchase of a pump for my RODI.

I have the non dim able one it's 2 weeks old looking to sell it after I get my other new light for the price this is not a bad led light

Just in case you guys had any interest: Eshine systems has some pretty cheap led fixtures with CREE/Bridgelux and epistar LEDs.(has dimmers/controller for higher end, and optics. All of which are customizable) They ship from china, and I've bought a fixture from them. Customer service is pretty good (time difference is annoying, but usually 1 day turn around). When i got my fixture, the glass panel was broken, and they shipped 2 new ones to me withing a couple of days, and the turn around was about a week. If you guys wanna know more just pm me and i'd be happy to share my experience with you guys.

howze01

NJRC Member
Someone mentioned that these are dimmable but not controllable, is that true? So you can control a daily increase just by turning it up a little every day but you can't ramp it up and down during the day?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Someone mentioned that these are dimmable but not controllable, is that true? So you can control a daily increase just by turning it up a little every day but you can't ramp it up and down during the day?

This is true. The way you control these is by turning one dial for the blues and another dial for the whites.

The way I see it, these manual dials for setting intensity can be used for:

1. Acclimating the lights to the corals

2. Balancing blue to white to your eye’s pleasure

3. Turning them down because 120-130 W of LED’s are too much for your little tank.

The only way they can be used to ramp up a rising sun and ramp down for a setting sun is if you are there and turning the dials. These cannot be connected to a controller without expensive electrical changes to these fixtures.

But still, for a $160, that’s still a deal.

Ok, I got another response from him about LED breakdown. Actually 3 responses altogether. I asked what the Ratio of B:W. Here is the answers.

1st response:
Hello sir

Thanks for your email.
The ratio white and blue is 23pcs blue and 22 pcs white.
We are the manufacture in China for the aquarium lights.
You are welcome to vist our site www dot ledbell dot com

Best Regards!
Richard

I asked for clarification as Paul pointed out, that is only 45 LEDS.

2nd response:
Hello John,

Thanks for your email reply.
Sorry my mistake: it is 33pcs blue and 32pcs white.
you are a very nice man. thank you.
PLS Let me know if you want to buy some for try.
Best regards!

Richard

Well we are at 65 LEDS now.

3rd response(this came immediatly on the heals of the second):
Hello John,

Sorry again.
The right qty of led
55pcs= 28pcs led blue + 27pcs led white

Thanks for your time.
You can send mail to me info at ledbell dot com
I can send you more clear photo

Best regards!
Richard

Well he finally got it right. Im gonna try to e-mail him and see where that gets me, as far as pics go.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Well he finally got it right. Im gonna try to e-mail him and see where that gets me, as far as pics go.

interesting... needless to say, please post any pics he sends you.

I'm really torn now

this option - maybe with a GB scenario, best case for me is 2 lights at $300-320

DIY will be, again, best case $350-400 but that allows to better customize what I want in terms of ration, optics and I have more control over the quality of the LEDs - CREE lights, bin I choose, etc....

is it worth the $100 swing plus the inevitable surprises that come with DIY to get those advantages?

ok here's what I got this morning, i'm trying to upload the PDF files with pricing from eshine but I seem to lag out everytime i click upload file so send me your email if you want their pricing.
I=me obviously

I:10:55:14
Hi Peter could you send me a pricelist, myself and a few other members of a reef club in NJ USA are interested in your units.
Peter : 10:55:45
your email?
Peter : 10:57:18
hello?
I: 10:57:31
rchelbig@gmail.com
I: 10:57:34
sorry
Peter : 10:58:00
is ok
Peter : 10:58:10
like the 4g?
I: 10:58:50
can you send me a list for everything in your aqua line. I have members looking for the 4G, some looking for 50W bars, some for other things
Peter : 10:59:44
ok
I: 11:01:11
I know shipping is pretty high, but do you have any idea what it would be if we bought 5 units, what it would be if we bought 10 units, 15units, 20units ?
Peter : 11:02:08
more lights your order one time, more cheaper shipping
I: 11:04:37
thank you very much!
Peter : 11:04:52
my pleasure
Peter : 11:04:59
anything you can email me
Peter : 11:05:05
peter@eshinesystems.com
Peter : 11:05:19
have sent the information to you
Peter : 11:05:25
pls kindly check it
I: 11:05:41
will these need powersupplies or are they included with pricing?
I: 11:05:48
I jsut received them thank you
Peter : 11:06:07
with pricing
Peter : 11:06:55
you are wlecome

I: 11:26:51
How much is the dimmer? and can these units be hooked into a reef controller or do they only work with your dimmer?
Peter : 11:27:11
Only work with our controller
I: 11:28:40
how much is your controller?
Peter : 11:30:11
the controller do not sell separately
I: 11:30:48
but is it an additional cost or is it included with the 24x3w, Cree 60w, & the 48x3w?
Peter : 11:31:49
the controller do not sell separately
I: 11:32:41
so it is included with the quoted prices?
Peter : 11:34:12
the 24x3w and 60w, the dimmer install with the light
Peter : 11:34:14
the 48x3w with programmable controller

Sorry for long post but wanted to give any info I could

Last edited:
If there's enough interest I'd be down to put a group buy together and have them ship to my office(we're CTPAT certified so passing through customs is always a little bit easier than shipping to home even though my company wouldn't be the cosignee) I'll be at the meeting tomorrow if anybody wants to talk about it.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
If there's enough interest I'd be down to put a group buy together and have them ship to my office(we're CTPAT certified so passing through customs is always a little bit easier than shipping to home even though my company wouldn't be the cosignee) I'll be at the meeting tomorrow if anybody wants to talk about it.

looking at the pricing, I'm not sure a group buy would do too much and it looks like it would require everyone getting the same "units" - but shipping could be a whole other issue and it sounded like shipping would be much cheaper if it was shared among a bunch of us. If I could more clearly decipher their website and figure what light(s) I would need and what features they have I'd definitely be interested in bailing on my DIY and going this route. I can't make the meeting so please let me know before you commit to anything. meantime I'm going to keep trying to understand the different lights they have

looking at the pricing, I'm not sure a group buy would do too much and it looks like it would require everyone getting the same "units" - but shipping could be a whole other issue and it sounded like shipping would be much cheaper if it was shared among a bunch of us. If I could more clearly decipher their website and figure what light(s) I would need and what features they have I'd definitely be interested in bailing on my DIY and going this route. I can't make the meeting so please let me know before you commit to anything. meantime I'm going to keep trying to understand the different lights they have

I assume your referring to the website for the dimmable fixture on ebay. That site is tough to figure out. I've got another email out to him asking for more specific info about the 120w dimmable. It seems though with the time/date difference all responses are occuring slowly.

I was also looking at the eshine light and really liked the Aqua master, but it just too much light for the nano.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
I assume your referring to the website for the dimmable fixture on ebay. That site is tough to figure out. I've got another email out to him asking for more specific info about the 120w dimmable. It seems though with the time/date difference all responses are occuring slowly.

I was also looking at the eshine light and really liked the Aqua master, but it just too much light for the nano.

actually I was looking at the eShine website and price sheets that nyteGTI got. I'm not sure what shipping would be on the eshines but what looks like the comparable unit to the eBay dimmable is the 4G LED Grow Bar 24-3w-1 w/ dimmers - if i read it right, they are $153 US each before shipping. shipping on 1 could be like $50 or more I guess but if shipping on 10 is only like $100 and we can split that it would be close to the eBay and the eShine stuff looks a bit more professionally put together. The problem is there are a TON of options and I can't figure out what the difference is between most. also, from what I see on the website it looks like the ratio favors white more than I'd like, like 50/50 W/B or 2:1 W:B. Having looked at a DIY option just about everything suggests 2:1 B:W, so the opposite. Also, I can't understand the optics - it just says 30,60,90 - does that mean it's an option, or each fixture uses a combination?

yea sorry to clarify by group buy I just meant everybody boguht together to save on shipping, not so much the same model. I'm also trying to figure the sheet out. asonitez has dealt with them before multiple times & i'm trying to get his input on them and how the sheet works.