• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DIY Stand Build

I am considering building my own stand for my 135 gallon reef tank.

Does anyone have experience with this or know of an able and willing builder locally in NJ that would do it, but not break the bank?

Thanks,

Brandon

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We used the framing plans on Reef Central. Here’s a pic of their suggested framing. For a six foot tank you want the yellow and red boards to be 2 x 6’s while everything else are 2 x 4’s.

Stand.jpg

Here’s our actual frame and the following pictures are after it was skinned in plywood and finally painted black.

OurStand.jpg

OurStandSkinned.jpg

TankOnStand0328.jpg

My only complaint is that this thing weighs a ton.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don’t actually remember the costs, but looking at what is there, here’s a ballpark number.

Dimensional lumber $30
1 sheet ¾ 4 x 8 Plywood $30
2 sheets 3/8 4 x 8 Plywood $45
Miscellaneous hardware $20

The doors I made from scrap lumber I had in the shop….3/4 pine with ¼ plywood inserts.

Note that you may leave the framework open….less cost…. Or skin with exotic woods to get that fine furniture look…most cost.

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Take a look at stands in some lfs.I went in 3-4 times just to look at a canopy I made.
Also look at other peoples stands that might live near you.

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
If you lived close I'd heip you build one.But no I have a lot of things on the list to build of my own.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Newsalt has plans for sale. His work is beautiful. You may check with him as well.