• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Do Freshwater aquariums stink?

Thinking of starting a 55g community freshwater tank and was just wondering, do they smell? I plan to have it in my living room and saltwater isn't in the budget just yet.

-Thanks!

If you don't do any water changes and let stuff get real cruddy it could. My 75 doesn't unless I go wayyyy to long in between water changes.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Having had freshwater tanks for over 45 years, I can tell you emphatically that they do not stink. I can’t even imagine what you would have to do to make them start to stink. I currently have one in my living room and one at the top of my stairs….no smells whatsoever.

By the way, this is a saltwater site, so you might want to join one of the many freshwater forums and repost this question there.

Thanks, Paul

Mine never stunk...
I even had a gar and some channel cats and some clawed frogs in it and only feed them goldfish...
I just ran a hang on the back filter with the carbon and floss and an air pump with some air stone bars...
Mine was a 75 gallon and a 20 gallon..

nope, not as long as its established. while its cycling the nitrogen cycle could cause some bad smells but even then i would doubt it would be an issue. Matter of fact my planted tank has a great earthy smell to it when you get close. Its really nice to have in a room with potted plants because they can benefit from the added humidity to the room.

I'm running a 29 gallon mixed FW tank (half fish/half frogs). I would think that if any of them had an odor if would be mine. BUT - it doesn't. None at all. Weekly water changes, along with changing out the filter carbon works wonders.

Before that I ran several FW tanks, and none of them ever emitted any kind of foul smell (and I double checked with my son because they were all in HIS room).