• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Do I have 2 Females

My two occelaris clowns that I have had for a little over a year are no longer getting along. I got them as my first two fish before doing any research on anything really. They were about 3 - 3.5 inches long when I got them and they are still about the same size. They have not done any shimmy or shown any type of bond for the last 8 months. Sometimes together but usually apart. They recently started hosting in my btas and yesterday I couldn't find one for about 2 hours. When I did find it, it had half it's dorsal fin ripped off and a good chunk taken out of it's tail. The other clown keeps charging and though it does turn sideways the charging one keeps coming and rams it. So, I'm wondering if I could have 2 females that just happened to get along until they started using the anemones. Any other possibilities?

it sounds like they are trying to show dominance and the other one has no choice.

they see the BTAS as territories.
they are fighting over them.

I beleive the only true way to tell is to add two really small clowns or remove one and add a reallly really small one.

Remove one? I spent an hour trying to catch the injured one last night. I don't see that happening. I guess I'll just let nature take it's course. I just can't take apart the whole tank to catch a clown.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The one being rammed will die. I've seen this same behavior with two really small ones that were almost surely neuter/male when we got them. When the female is establishing herself, and before the transition is complete, they are typically very agressive. Right now she has a point to prove. I'd remove the submissive one and try again with a small one in 6mo-a year when the transition is likely to be closer to complete.

We had 2 maroons in 2 separate tanks. We bought 2 small juvi (we knew the breeder) maroons to pair with each of the females. The one female (5" or so) took to the 1.5" fish immediately. The 3" fish nearly killed the one we put with her (also 1.5" or less). The little one actually jumped into the net when we went to get it out.

My son's tank now has one clown in it (after the second one lost the war).

I guess that could be it. It's just that like I said they were full grown a year ago when I got them. You would think that would all have been sorted out already. I'll try catching the injured one again tonight, if he survives the day.

I tried catching him for 2 days, wouldn't come anywhere near me.

This morning she pretty much finished him off and than dragged him into her Haddoni. Within seconds there was nothing but a tail sticking out of the anemones mouth. Mother nature at her most evil I guess.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Circle of life. Crazy as it is. Sorry about your clown. Terrible that it happened after all this time with nothing wrong.

:-(

Well, I stopped by AO this afternoon and got a new mate for my evil clown. I think this one should be a male, it's a little less than an inch long. He's been in there about an hour and hasn't left the btas. She han't noticed him yet, she's all wrapped up in her carpet.

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

I'm watching and the net is sitting on top of the tank. If he doesn't go to her side of the tank she may never see him. Since she killed her last mate she only comes out of the carpet to eat.