• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Do I need a bubble trap?

I just setup a 20L nano with a sump. I have an eshopps pf-nano overflow draining into the first part of the sump were the skimmer will go. My heaters are also in that compartment too. I haven't setup the skimmer yet.

Right now there's a ton of bubbles flowing into that compartment.

1. Do I need a bubble trap?

2. If I don't trap the bubbles will it effect the skimmer?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I am no expert on skimmers, but I have both my return pumps just flow into the chamber with my skimmer. There is no bubble trap or filter socks and they seem to be doing just fine. I could be wrong, but I am ok with it.

If your skimmer intake is a few inches below the surface it should b ok. U could build a little wall/trap out of live rock between the skimmer and where the overflow line dumps in. This way the bubbles will hit it , rise n pop. U have a lot of options with stuff like this. Filter sock is another but will require weekly rinsing/changing. A stacked wall or such will b no maintanence, something im def a fan of