• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Do you swim in lakes?

The half-empty side of me thinks that the amoeba could easily be here in NJ dormant - waiting for the right temps to appear.

The half-full side of me considers that only - 23 ppl have died between 1994~2004. To give you some odds/perspective - I'd imagine more than 2 people die from getting hit by lightning each year.

Yes 6 died this year. How many people died via shark attack? or alligator/croc attack?

I will say though having some parasite in your brain is freaky.

phil519 said:
The half-empty side of me thinks that the amoeba could easily be here in NJ dormant - waiting for the right temps to appear.

The half-full side of me considers that only - 23 ppl have died between 1994~2004. To give you some odds/perspective - I'd imagine more than 2 people die from getting hit by lightning each year.

Yes 6 died this year. How many people died via shark attack? or alligator/croc attack?

I will say though having some parasite in your brain is freaky.

The reason why this stroy is really scary and is circulating around is that the number of cases has dramaticaly increased this year. While it could be a statistical fluke, it could be a new trend as well. The real concern is whether there is something that has sytematically changed in fawor of those amoebas like warmer and friendlier environment, stronger organisms, the decrease of their natural predators that are controling them etc. So, while 6 deaths (tragic as they are in each case) are statistically insignificent in their number, it is the possibility of the upward trend that worries people.

For comparison, on average, there are only 5-6 deaths by the sharks in the whole world.
There are however 150 deaths (on average) by deer and 15 by snakes in the US alone. Bambi is so far the most deadliest animal in the US ;D