• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Does anybody have Coraline to spare??

Hey guys;
Just wanted to know if anybody close by has any Coraline scrapings that they can spare??
It is just not growing as fast as I would like in my tank. :(
I started it with more dead rock that live and would love to give it a boost.
Please let me know if you can help. :)
I would really appreciate it.

Thanks Guys

try this, use a stiff bristle tooth brush, and brush at the coraline you do have.... small flecks you can't even see will come off and spread it.... i did that when i first started, and it worked well

my tank isn't that old and i can see red starting to go everywhere on the base rock i bought.. I did the same as you. give it a little time.. make sure your mag and calc levels are good and it will grow like crazy. sometimes it takes a while then BOOM it's all over the place

REEFLECTIONS said:
try this, use a stiff bristle tooth brush, and brush at the coraline you do have.... small flecks you can't even see will come off and spread it.... i did that when i first started, and it worked well

That is funny... I just did the brush thing today.

ds4x4 said:
my tank isn't that old and i can see red starting to go everywhere on the base rock i bought.. I did the same as you. give it a little time.. make sure your mag and calc levels are good and it will grow like crazy. sometimes it takes a while then BOOM it's all over the place

Yeah, I guess I'm just used to have all live rock and I'm getting restless. ;D
My levels are all fine........ at least that's good...... This is on a little nano tank. I'm restarting my bigger tank at a later time. (will post)

RichT said:
Purple Up will get it jump started.
I used Purple-up in the past and didn't see much difference. I think it is just an overpriced Kal.
The only things I add to my tank are pickling lime and baking soda.

I just try to avoid chemicals if possible.
Thanks ;D

yuyiboy said:
Hey guys;
Just wanted to know if anybody close by has any Coraline scrapings that they can spare??
It is just not growing as fast as I would like in my tank. :(
I started it with more dead rock that live and would love to give it a boost.
Please let me know if you can help. :)
I would really appreciate it.

Thanks Guys

As pointed out you can take scrapeings from the coraline algae you already have.

However, once it starts growing all over everything, especially filtration components, you will consider coraline algae to be just another nuisance algae, almost as bad as green hair algae, or red slime (not a true algae).

If you'd like Im in Jackson too,pm me back and we can set something up,I could give you a "seed" rock covered in pink/purple coraline...just lemme know :)

Well purple up is iodine, stront, and kalk if I recall correctly. But yeah it is a marked up product since it's an all in one thing. I could give you some as well but think shipwrecked is closer. I'm in West Windsor if you you don't get any from Ship. Be patient. It will come with time.

Hey guys,
Sorry I haven't responded I had to go to NY and stayed a bit.

I just turned one of my rocks while re-re-re-arranging it and it had Coraline on it!! 8)
It was one of the dead ones so.... I think it's going to be OK. It has little purple dots on it. YEAH!!!
My levels are still fine and "Blue" is still happy LOL

shipwrecked said:
If you'd like Im in Jackson too,pm me back and we can set something up,I could give you a "seed" rock covered in pink/purple coraline...just lemme know :)
Thank you soooo much. But it looks like it's going to be OK. You guys are all so great with advice and help. ;D
I really appreciate it