• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Does anyone go to Reef Encounter in Hackensack?

I have to tell you, they have a large selection of fish and some corals for beginners/intermediate reefers but their services sucks.  I remember the second time that I went there I was going to purchase over $200 on fish and corals and the owner would not give me any kind of deal.  Not even when I was paying cash.  That was an insult to me because one of the keys to business is to always strike a deal with a customer so that the customer feels appreciated.  To make things worse the owner told me that the reason for his decision was that someone else would buy the stuff.  That is true it doesnt change customer relations. 

Every time that I go there things get worse.  I am completely done with them.  I will happily drive out of my way to go to absolutely fish than to return to them. 

Does anyone have an input on this place.  I, for one, do not recommend it.

That's weird :eek:
The last three times I was there (w/in 1.5 months) they were very helpful. Some of their pricing is off but service was good and they were busy when I went. I have never had AF give me a deal on anything! I was there tonight, walked around for 30 min looking around with about 7 people on staff and NO ONE asked if I had any questions or needed any help :-\ It's was sad to hear them talk bad about customers on the phone with silly questions. Sad indeed.
Sorry to hear about your experience with RE.

I personally LOVE Reef Encounter. Most of my livestock is from there. Very friendly, knowledgeable staff. They always question what I have in my tank before I buy and give advice that is consistent with what I get here on line. I think their prices are very reasonable compared to AF and even a lot of online places. Not much in corals, but the fish are gorgeous and healthy.

I would never expect a discount from them, just like I don't expect one on line or from my grocery store.

I used to always go there I was friendly with most the staff. Until they felt the need to repremand my 3 year old daughter for pointing at the fish. She does this everytime we go there and shows me fish she likes. Having a couple reef setups at home and even a touch tank for my children they have the utmost respect for aquatic life. First off, I don't like strangers speaking to my children without my okay let alone repremanding them with an authoritative tone. I believe it was the owners wife as I know the owner and the rest of the staff. Thats the last they will see of my $100-200 monthly business as well as all the people I recommended there.

I never liked absolutes service. A bunch of people there who have no time for you. The people at reef encounter are alright but they never gave me a deal when i used to buy tons from them and their livestock wasnt the greatest. The Fish Tank on 46 is new but they have a great selection and their service is great. The guy there has givin me quite a break on corals ;D ;)

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I didn't know they were still open.
If it's the same owners as when I was there about 15 years ago they wern't the best back then either.(deals that is)

I have been there a few times. I just went there this week and all I can say is I cannot blame Reef Encounters for not striking a deal on fish.
Having managed a LFS in Central/South Jersey for years I can honestly say they have the best looking fish at the cheapest prices in all of Bergen County.
I was in the fish tank the same day and saw a few dead/sick fish. The corals were better there but for fish I will go to reef encounters for my new office nano. Both stores had clean tanks and helpful people there but Reef Encounters was selling fish at Jersey shore prices. TFT was lower then Absolutely fish but still higher then I’m used to paying.
TFT has great potential but IMO the kids there should be more on top of cleaning out dead/sick fish and less about BS-ing among themselves. (Just from what I saw in less then an hour) I will probably end up buying some inverts and possibly some frags from TFT but for fish I will either buy from Reef Encounters or go to my wholesalers just up the highway.
JMHO
S

They have without a doubt the best prices on fresh and saltwater. Although they are not a specialty "reef" type store they do stock sps type corals from time to time at great prices. They carry a large selection of marine fish at competitive prices. Someone was complaining about spending $200 on fish and not getting a deal, but keep in mind their mark up is minimal compared to other stores and they do need to make a profit.

Their prices on dry goods can't be beat by anyone. Sure the staff could probably be more knowledge but we are talking pet stores and not a doctors office.