• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Does anyone skim part of the time?

Well, with this heat were testing the wiring in our new apt. We found out, after popping the breaker a few times, that the entire living room, and most of the bedroom is wired on one 15 amp breaker! This means Tank, TV, lamps, Air conditioner, nightstand, and air conditioner in the bedroom was on one breaker! And this was supposedly new 100 amp service installed, which is kind of dumb. So in order to have the AC on, I had to cut down to 3 bulbs, and turn off my skimmer. We moved the other ac to another outlet in the bedroom. I was thinking about using my RKL to control my skimmer, maybe part time. If so can anyone recommend the optimal time to skim? Lights on or out?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We have a the same problem with our 30g, we turn on the microwave and it trips the breaker. We have to unplug the metal halide lights when we want the microwave on. It is optimal to run it all the time but if you can't then my vote would be for at night. ORP drop off at night and having the skimmer on when the lights are off will help keep your ORP levels up.

why not add a separate breaker for the outlet right behind your tank? if you have access to attic, that is an easy thing to do :)

I do have access to the attic, maybe it's time to call an electrician. For the hotter days, I'll run the shimmer with the fuge light.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I agree with adding a dedicated outlet for the tank...and have them make it a 20 amp breaker.

mnat, if my code recollection is correct, NJ requires microwaves to have a dedicated breaker. Call your landlord and ask him if he/she would fix it.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
redfishbluefish said:
I agree with adding a dedicated outlet for the tank...and have them make it a 20 amp breaker.

mnat, if my code recollection is correct, NJ requires microwaves to have a dedicated breaker. Call your landlord and ask him if he/she would fix it.

Good to know that for the future, we are actually moving out in the next two months. Hopefully the new place will be up to code.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I feel that I skim part time, but for a different reason than yours. My skimmer shuts down anytime I put my hands in the water for about an hour and shuts down for probably 3 hours after I feed. That only leaves me thinking that I am skimming properly bout half of the time that it is running anyway!