• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DOES IT MATTER what brand HQI bulbs I use?

I need to replace my four of my 250watt HQI mh bulbs. They are about 18months old. That is too old, right?

I am currently running 12,000k I think. Maybe they are 15,000. not sure til I take them out. But what brand should I buy, does it really matter? Any ideas will be utilized. THANKS ;D

18 months is definately too old for MH bulbs. I think a lot of people like the phoenix 14K. that would be my choice. But definately more people will chime in with their different experiences

Harry

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Stan recommends Radium. Says that Radium bulbs on a PFO HQI ballast is a great combo. I personally have no experience with HQI nor radium bulbs.

I like the look and color of a Reeflux 12K bulb.

You can also check Sanjay's site for comparative PAR shopping with your specific ballast and various bulb combinations.

reneeRN said:
I need to replace my four of my 250watt HQI mh bulbs. They are about 18months old. That is too old, right?

I am currently running 12,000k I think. Maybe they are 15,000. not sure til I take them out. But what brand should I buy, does it really matter? Any ideas will be utilized. THANKS ;D

mh are good for about almost a year depending on brand.. certain brands are more dependable then others.. 12k are good bulbs not to blue and not to white and good growth.. but growth also depends on how well you keep your tank..

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phyl said:
Stan recommends Radium. Says that Radium bulbs on a PFO HQI ballast is a great combo. I personally have no experience with HQI nor radium bulbs.

I like the look and color of a Reeflux 12K bulb.

You can also check Sanjay's site for comparative PAR shopping with your specific ballast and various bulb combinations.
I'm also running ReefLux 12Ks nice color.

Bob

I switched to the Phoenix 14k from the giesemann 14.5's in attempt to save some cash, ended up costing me more as I now have to switch back. IMHO I really don't think there's a better bulb out there than the Giesemann 14.5 K MEGACHROME coral bulb.

sinkingbeach said:
I switched to the Phoenix 14k from the giesemann 14.5's in attempt to save some cash, ended up costing me more as I now have to switch back. IMHO I really don't think there's a better bulb out there than the Giesemann 14.5 K MEGACHROME coral bulb.

The Giesemann's really are fantastic.

Hi Renee

I use the 10k Aqualine AB 150w and 70w 20k HQI bulbs and am very satisfied with them...They do not make a 12k or 14k bulb as far as I know and being German made, they are expensive so I waited for a group by to get my replacements.

By and large, I would definitely stay away from the inexpensive, minor branded bulbs made in China that you see advertised frequently. Everything I've heard about them suggests that the Kelvin ratings vary wildly from bulb to bulb.

I suggest that you refer to Dr. Sanjay Joshi's studies of MH bulbs. He is an avid reefkeeper who has been testing reef lighting for many years.
A list of his articles can be found at... www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/articles.htm

Dom

sinkingbeach said:

Out of curiosity, how did it cost you more? Newer to the world of HQI's as I used to have VHO's and now have an HQI

reefitup said:
sinkingbeach said:

Out of curiosity, how did it cost you more? Newer to the world of HQI's as I used to have VHO's and now have an HQI
I spent aprox $180 on 3 Phoenix bulbs, now I have to put out an additional $280 on 3 more bulbs, therefore it cost me more ;)

Edward771 said:
Ice Cap is right down the road from your job. Let me know if you want to go there and check it out.

Really? I would love to go there. When are they open?
I dont know what to do about what brand to purchase. I am getting so many great ideas. I read Sanjays articles and that really put me into a tizzy. My brain is fried from all the data available.

sinkingbeach said:
reefitup said:
sinkingbeach said:

I spent aprox $180 on 3 Phoenix bulbs, now I have to put out an additional $280 on 3 more bulbs, therefore it cost me more ;)

Gotchya ;D I didn't know if maybe one blew in the tank or something.

sinkingbeach said:

I just did the same thing. I hear everyone say how nice the phoenix 14k's are so I tried them. Too blue for me, my birdsnest was more of a blue color than the pink it's supposed to be. Guess I'll be selling 3 phoenix 250's next week.