• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Does size matter.......uv sterilizer

The direct question is in purchasing a UV Sterilizer does one purchase with TANK (75) capacity or system WATER VOLUME. 75 gal reef/fish tank, 10gal sump and 10 gal ATO tank. Hair age has been an issue and tired of it, would also feel better if I had something in place to prevent a parasite outbreak so I can get a Tang.

That said, do I go with a 15w, 75gal tank, or a 25w, 150gal tank.....and if ya can throw a name brand in there too......Im thinking Aqua Ultraviolet.

Thanks for you time guys......

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
“the use of UVC can again slow the spread of ich tomites in the water column (but usually not outright kill ich tomites). HOWEVER, by virtue of water quality improvement (such as Redox Potential/Balance) and lowering of pathogenic bacteria, the fish has more natural resistance to fight Marine Cryptocaryon or FW Ich. This is a fact as per controlled tests I performed in the 1990s!

This is why simply improving fish immunity by running a UV Sterilizer at Level 1 often helps with Ich prevention and why a GOOD UV Sterilizer should be a considered just one tool for Ich prevention, NEVER the only tool.

Even when run at a low flow rate (8-12 gph per watt depending upon UV Sterilizer for level 2), a UV Sterilizer cannot kill all Ich or Crytocaryon Tomites or Oodinium Dinoflagellates in the water column, as it is impossible to force all these Tomites to pass through the UV. However, increasing the aquarium turnover rate through the UV Sterilizer (2-3 times per hour or more), increases the number of these Ick Tomites or Dinoflagellates killed.

As well pre-filtration, especially with a micron filter placed before the UV Sterilizer can further improve effectiveness of the UV. A micron filter of 10 microns is very effective by itself, but can lower flow since it is very fine, so often a 50-micron pre-filter will suffice when combined with a high dwell time UV run at level 2 Sterilization.

Algae growing on aquarium, pond sides, rocks, decorations, etc. are generally not destroyed by the use of a UV Sterilizer. However, UV Sterilization can aid in the spread of certain algae that utilize spores as part of their mode of their mode of spread/replication.

Most of the time hair algae comes attached to the plant that was purchased, or it may come in attached to the shells of snails or similar transferred rocks, etc. Unfortunately for this type of algae, you find little aid from a UV Sterilizer.”

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I've ran a aqua ultraviolet 57 w classic UV ever since I lost a bunch of fish to velvet. 57w on my reefer 750. Never stopped running it.

“the use of UVC can again slow the spread of ich tomites in the water column (but usually not outright kill ich tomites). HOWEVER, by virtue of water quality improvement (such as Redox Potential/Balance) and lowering of pathogenic bacteria, the fish has more natural resistance to fight Marine Cryptocaryon or FW Ich. This is a fact as per controlled tests I performed in the 1990s!

This is why simply improving fish immunity by running a UV Sterilizer at Level 1 often helps with Ich prevention and why a GOOD UV Sterilizer should be a considered just one tool for Ich prevention, NEVER the only tool.

Even when run at a low flow rate (8-12 gph per watt depending upon UV Sterilizer for level 2), a UV Sterilizer cannot kill all Ich or Crytocaryon Tomites or Oodinium Dinoflagellates in the water column, as it is impossible to force all these Tomites to pass through the UV. However, increasing the aquarium turnover rate through the UV Sterilizer (2-3 times per hour or more), increases the number of these Ick Tomites or Dinoflagellates killed.

As well pre-filtration, especially with a micron filter placed before the UV Sterilizer can further improve effectiveness of the UV. A micron filter of 10 microns is very effective by itself, but can lower flow since it is very fine, so often a 50-micron pre-filter will suffice when combined with a high dwell time UV run at level 2 Sterilization.

Algae growing on aquarium, pond sides, rocks, decorations, etc. are generally not destroyed by the use of a UV Sterilizer. However, UV Sterilization can aid in the spread of certain algae that utilize spores as part of their mode of their mode of spread/replication.

Most of the time hair algae comes attached to the plant that was purchased, or it may come in attached to the shells of snails or similar transferred rocks, etc. Unfortunately for this type of algae, you find little aid from a UV Sterilizer.”

Will the size of the sterilizer that’s slightly larger (25w as opposed to15w) than the tank volume (75gal with a 10 gal sump), be detrimental in anyway. I’m getting the 25w because of the extra 10 gal sump. Am I correct in “assuming” my decision is correct?

I've ran a aqua ultraviolet 57 w classic UV ever since I lost a bunch of fish to velvet. 57w on my reefer 750. Never stopped running it.
Will the size of the sterilizer that’s slightly larger (25w as opposed to15w) than the tank volume (75gal with a 10 gal sump), be detrimental in anyway. I’m getting the 25w because of the extra 10 gal sump. Am I correct in “assuming” my decision is correct?