• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Does t5 bring extra colors?

As I’m coming this route I want to know what you guys think.
does t5 bring extra colors that LED don’t or it’s just that corals under t5 can show more colors to the aye?
Any information will be appreciated thanks:)

I forget where I was reading this, but I did read that the new colors that we are seeing are directly related to the amount of LED lights and the lack of usable spectrum that they produce..thus requiring the corals to change what is going on inside of them to obtain what they need from the light presented. (the analogy was like humans getting a tan to block out too much UVA/UVB). So i think the answer is yes..but given that people are thrilled with the new colors..i doubt people are going to abandon the LEDs

I forget where I was reading this, but I did read that the new colors that we are seeing are directly related to the amount of LED lights and the lack of usable spectrum that they produce..thus requiring the corals to change what is going on inside of them to obtain what they need from the light presented. (the analogy was like humans getting a tan to block out too much UVA/UVB). So i think the answer is yes..but given that people are thrilled with the new colors..i doubt people are going to abandon the LEDs
I thinking about this because I see the difference in color when I get coral (sps/lps)
from people using hybrid system how much more deeper and brighter they come and how they loose that color over time even though they are growing.
It’s interesting your thoughts that led can change the coral itself!!!
From what I can see the t5 looks like adds more color and the led can’t keep it going. That’s why I like to hear from you guys and see what it’s your thoughts about this.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Have you tried them both buddy?

yup, have used everything since I started in the hobby over 10 years ago from halides, t5, old gen LEDs to the current. currently running radion xr15s/t5 hybrids but will eventually just run all LED, metal halides is the golden standard though. MH LED hybrid is king mode but MH byproduct of excess heat and being power hungry is not sensible.

Agree with Itzju, however different spectrums of T5s will bring out different colors which is why you wan to use different bulbs. For example, the purple plus will really make your red colors pop.
Is it that the color spectrum highlights the colors that are already there or actually make the colors change? That is the big difference in my post. Yes different bulbs and spectrum make various colors look better but the leds actually change the colors themselves

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
Just traded my Radions yesterday for an 36" ATI fixture. It came with (4) blue plus and (2) coral plus bulbs. I may switch 1 of the coral plus for a purple bulb.
I really enjoy the look of T5s over LEDs and IME corals always responded better. They just love that blanket of light. LEDs are like laser beams, look at what all the LED companies are now trying to do. they are trying to copy that blanket of light with diffusers. LEDs are not meant to do so. There's the struggle. along with trying to get a solid spectrum. T5s offer all of this, and it costs cheaper to light my 36inch tank than it would with "high end" LEDs.

The reason you see color change is because the coral is trying to survive under the spectrums being provided. So really, we are altering corals right in our tanks. Which is cool. Sometimes not cool if they brown out.

There's more to it, intensity, duration, bulb configuration (as mentioned above) you can even get into the argument of present UV.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Agree with nanoJoe on this one as well. Also with the LED bulbs and various spectrums and UVs they can hit, they might pull more color from your color because again wider spectrum. So not necessarily changing the color of the coral, just allowing you to see more.

Good to hear!!!
This is why I have been thinking about it literally gives you other looks at the coral… I’ll put them in a canopy to maximize the light
Agree with nanoJoe on this one as well. Also with the LED bulbs and various spectrums and UVs they can hit, they might pull more color from your color because again wider spectrum. So not necessarily changing the color of the coral, just allowing you to see more.
Just traded my Radions yesterday for an 36" ATI fixture. It came with (4) blue plus and (2) coral plus bulbs. I may switch 1 of the coral plus for a purple bulb.
I really enjoy the look of T5s over LEDs and IME corals always responded better. They just love that blanket of light. LEDs are like laser beams, look at what all the LED companies are now trying to do. they are trying to copy that blanket of light with diffusers. LEDs are not meant to do so. There's the struggle. along with trying to get a solid spectrum. T5s offer all of this, and it costs cheaper to light my 36inch tank than it would with "high end" LEDs.

The reason you see color change is because the coral is trying to survive under the spectrums being provided. So really, we are altering corals right in our tanks. Which is cool. Sometimes not cool if they brown out.

There's more to it, intensity, duration, bulb configuration (as mentioned above) you can even get into the argument of present UV.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I was running LEDs for years and had never run a T5 only setup.
In breaking down a tank with an AI hybrid, I shut down the LEDs and was blown away by the T5s alone.
As a result, in my 3' tank, I'm running T5 only. Played about with a number of different lights and settled on 3 Blue + and 1 purple +
Zoas are seriously popping. If I could fit a 6 bulb over it I'd add another Blue + and a UV.

I was running LEDs for years and had never run a T5 only setup.
In breaking down a tank with an AI hybrid, I shut down the LEDs and was blown away by the T5s alone.
As a result, in my 3' tank, I'm running T5 only. Played about with a number of different lights and settled on 3 Blue + and 1 purple +
Zoas are seriously popping. If I could fit a 6 bulb over it I'd add another Blue + and a UV.
Thanks to for all the information you guys have given so far.
Thanks God I have some time to see a complete picture and make a decision accordingly..

erics210

NJRC Member
I have a fixed mount for my lights. If I added single T5 bulb to the fixture mount, which bulb would be best as a general bulb to add?