• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Does this seem right?

Due to evaporation my salinity was way too high (2.035 ppm). Noticing this, I did two separate 5 gallon water changes adding fresh RO/DI water (10 gallons total). The water changes have brought the salinity down to 2.030, and I plan on changing more over the course of the week to get it down to 2.026. Anyway, I decided to check all my levels. My calcium is at 450 ppm, my Alkalinity is at 6.5 dkh, my Magnesium is at 1.400 ppm, and my pH is at 8.1. With the exception of the low Alkalinity, do the other numbers seem too normal after the water changes? I'm wondering because it seems like my Coraline is bleaching, and I haven't seen much growth in the few sps that I've now had for about 6 months. I am still getting used to maintaining proper levels for sps, so maybe I'm just paranoid. Could the lack of growth be due to a the lower than normal Alkalinity?

I figured that the levels would all be much lower, and that I should begin using my 2 part solutions. It seems like every time I've tested for these, with numerous kits including the LFS, my levels have been normal or a little high. I use Instant Ocean btw.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Low Alk numbers can be a problem and 6.5 may be on the low end, but with your PH at 8.1 you're not in danger. Just bring it up slowly. Your plan of 5g water changes is the best thing for everyone so keep at that plan. Not sure why the coraline is bleaching.

Did you change anything else lately (bulbs, etc)?

The one thing that has changed, and I don't know why this slipped my mind last night, is the temperature. My large heater broke. It was maintaining the temp at about 80. I put a smaller heater in for the time being, but my temp is now dropping to 71 at night and getting to a max of 76 during the day. This has been for about a week now. I'm buying a new heater today. Could this be the problem?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That would stress ME out, LOL. I'm sure the fish and coral will appreciate a more stable temp. I'd guess that's a contributor. Keep us posted.

What is your specific gravity? The fluctuation in temp is a problem too. You want everything as stable as can be in a reef. The temp should be around 78- 81. The coraline might be bleaching from the over abundance of salt , who knows?

How are you measuring your salinity? 2.035 ppm is incredibly low not high. Salinty can be measured a bunch of different ways and your readings will depend on if you're using a refractometer or a monitor or ssomething else.

35 ppt (parts per thousand)
3500 ppm (parts per million)
salinity of about 35 ppt
specific gravity of about 1.026
conductivity of 53 mS/cm
You may want to check out this article if you're having trouble getting a handle on water chemistry.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/rhf/index.php

In my opinion 80 degress is to high for a constant temp. and I usually target 76 in the winter and 78 in summer.

kason42 said:
Due to evaporation my salinity was way too high (2.035 ppm). Noticing this, I did two separate 5 gallon water changes adding fresh RO/DI water (10 gallons total). The water changes have brought the salinity down to 2.030, and I plan on changing more over the course of the week to get it down to 2.026.
I think you mistyped your specific gravity - 1.035 right? getting down to 1.026?

Salinity as mentioned above is measured typically as ppt (in a refractometer).

just stabilize the salinity swings and i'm sure the growth will follow.

yeah, I did mean 1.035, sorry just a typo. My heat is now stabilized, and the salinity is now at 1.026. Oh, I'm using a refractometer btw. I'm also slowly bringing the alkalinity up. I'm hoping this will work...time will tell. Thanks everyone, and I will post an update in a few days or so.