• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Does your reef smell?

I was watching a show narrated by Will Smith called Welcome to Earth and the episode was Smell. It claimed that corals give off a smell in the gas bubbles produced by the zooxanthellae inside them. This smell is one of the things that allows ocean animals (such as see turtles) to locate dry land. Other land smells such as dead animals or bird droppings probably play a part as well.
Does anyone recognize the difference from how their tank smells compared to the ocean at the beach?
It also showed reef dwelling worms that come out once a year when the smell is just right.
p.s. the show was on the National Geographic portion of Disney +.

john90009

NJRC Member
Certainly my corals give off a smell during my waterchange, and I can easily tell the difference between my two tanks when completely filled. The new tank smells like a fresh saltwater bucket that you can easily smell the salt. Where as the old biocube doesn’t smell like crap but it smells like the jetty where waves are constantly crashing up and frothing.