• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

dog foods

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The Wellness Core they sell at Petco. That's why I'm going with that one. Timing is good. She's about to transition off of puppy food anyway.

Hi all - good thread. I think I'll make a switch to one of these better brands as well. I have been perplexed by all the conflicting opinions about IAM's and other brands being bought out and the quality dropping.

i worked at a Petco for almost 4 yrs.

good brands
Natural Balance (what i feed mine)
Wellness
Organix
Solid Gold
Nutro

brands they say are great (but arent)
Science Diet
Eukenuba
Royal Kanine (way over-priced)
Pro Plan

below Taco Bell quality ingredients
Pedigree
Alpo
Mighty Dog

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My 35# dog no longer needs 4-5 cups of food but with the Wellness Core only needs 1.75. That's a HUGE difference. I wonder if that lesser bulk will take some getting used to for her?! I mixed her dog food tonight 1/2 & 1/2 with the new stuff... before reading the directions. So more like 1/2 portion of her old & 1 WHOLE portion of the new. She LOVES it. She was crazy for the bag before I even opened it.

Phyl said:
My 35# dog no longer needs 4-5 cups of food but with the Wellness Core only needs 1.75. That's a HUGE difference. I wonder if that lesser bulk will take some getting used to for her?! I mixed her dog food tonight 1/2 & 1/2 with the new stuff... before reading the directions. So more like 1/2 portion of her old & 1 WHOLE portion of the new. She LOVES it. She was crazy for the bag before I even opened it.

Keep mixing the old and the new for at least a few days so her body can get used to it.

I can't believe your old food was 4-5 cups! That's a lot of food!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well it was puppy food too. Not sure how much of the cup count was because it was fillllller or because it was puppy food. I'd have to compare against a bag of the adult formula.

Actually I'm not sure she ever ate that much. There was always food left in her bowl.

hmmm... so about how much of the Wellness Core or Raw diet would I need to feed my 75# and growing GSD? Right now he's getting a 32oz cup of purina one 2x daily.

vangvace said:
hmmm... so about how much of the Wellness Core or Raw diet would I need to feed my 75# and growing GSD? Right now he's getting a 32oz cup of purina one 2x daily.

A lot, unfortunately. And it's an expensive food. Tremendous food, though.

Phyl said:
Ummmm...

Is there less coming out the other end?

phish guy said:
i worked at a Petco for almost 4 yrs.

good brands
Natural Balance (what i feed mine)
Wellness
Organix
Solid Gold
Nutro

brands they say are great (but arent)
Science Diet
Eukenuba
Royal Kanine (way over-priced)
Pro Plan

below Taco Bell quality ingredients
Pedigree
Alpo
Mighty Dog

Science Diet and Eukanuba should be placed in the "Below T-Bell" foods as well. Two of the worst foods ont he market.

Put it this way. I'd feed my dog Pedigree before Science Diet.

Back in the day, our old dog was on all Alpo and Pedigree. Lived the full length that a Sheltie should.

Any dog that I've ever known on Science Diet has had MAJOR skin issues (including our current Science Diet representatives dog, ironically).

JerseyWendy said:
jimroth said:
What's the best food I could buy at a local pet store?

Jim, I believe Petco sells Innova. :)

Nope. Wish we did, though. We have, in the better rangers, Wellness, Blue, Spot's Stew (aka Halo), and Solid Gold (along with some solid mids like Natural Balance and Nature's Recipe).

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wellness Core for a 75-80# would require 2.75-3.25 cups of food per day. I can't imagine how much beneful that would take!

jimroth said:
Phyl said:
Ummmm...

Is there less coming out the other end?

Dog's do defecate less with a higher quality food. Even with the same amount of food, there will be less poop coming out the other end (basically, because the higher quality food has less stuff that HAS to come out and more vitamins, etc. that get absorbed directly into the body).